UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 17th Feb 2024, 12:07 pm   #1
llebyat66
Diode

Default Bush VHF 80C - advice needed.

Hi Guys

I have one of the above radios which has been working fine until yesterday, when it went with a bang, when switched on.

Investigation shows what is left of a capacitor across the mains switch. Having looked at information I can find it would appear to be a 500v 0.02uf capacitor, but am not sure what type (thinking ceramic). I am having very little luck at finding one in the UK and would as you guys with more knowledge than me know of a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance
llebyat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2024, 12:16 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Bush VHF 80C - advice needed.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I assume that with the blown capacitor snipped out the radio continues to work?

As this capacitor is wired across the mains supply it needs to be replaced with a Class X type. Remember 'X' is a cross.

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.c...Capacitor.html

Don't worry about the reduce working voltage. These capacitors are specifically designed to be connected across the mains supply.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2024, 12:55 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The value of this capacitor isn't at all critical, and as Graham suggests, the radio will probably work perfectly well with no cap there at all. If it doesn't work then there is an additional problem, most likely switch contacts damaged when the cap failed (though check the plug fuse too).
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2024, 11:23 pm   #4
matthewhouse
Octode

It would be worth checking/replacing the audio coupling capacitor if this set has not been previously restored, while you are in there.
matthewhouse is offline   Reply With Quote