UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 15th Apr 2024, 3:12 am   #1
Deidarr

Default Technics SA-GX303 problem

Hello, I have a Technics SA-GX303 that is having a problem. After approx. 30-45 minutes, the unit will shut down completely. If I leave it plugged in, it will come back on after roughly 10-15 mins. and continue to play. It will then shut down again but in less time than before. The unit does get hot on it's top. Looking on the interwebs, I see that the fan only comes on when the volume is turned up, and I can confirm that it does come on around the 11:00 to 12:00 clock position on the volume knob. But that's too loud a volume to play all the time. I've taken it into Galaxy twice, once before the pandemic, problem not fixed and then this year in April, but the problem remains. Vince said it could be the speaker wire or the speakers themselves causing the unit to get too hot. I put on new 16 gauge wire , no fix. Tried running only left speaker with with right disconnected. No fix. Switched to right speaker only, ran nearly 2 hours but still shut down. Purchased an AC Infinity AXIAL 8038, Quiet Muffin Fan, 120V AC 80mm x 38mm Low Speed to set on top of the receiver and blow air into it, no fix.
Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. I know this is not a very special receiver and maybe I should cut my losses. Thank you in advance.
Deidarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2024, 10:07 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Technics SA-GX303 problem

Firstly I'd disconnect the speakers and try listening on headphones. Is there any distortion? The only trouble I've had is when the fan doesn't come on at all, but that's not the case with yours.

Mods - this is in the TV/video section so will need moving.
Old 15th Apr 2024, 10:32 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

It's an AV surround sound receiver/amplifier so it's a TV system ancillary and could go in either TV or audio. The sort of power claimed for it suggests Class-D audio stages.

This is a UK-based forum and TV standards here are different to those in the US, so we get different model numbers and different variants on the base designs, and we don't always get all of the base designs, so I had to google the thing just to find out what it is. Also we don't know what Galaxy is, from the context I guess it's a chain of repair services in the US?

This is a forum for vintage equipment, and AV receivers are a bit too new for us.

You may have a better chance of finding advice on an American forum where that is likely to be a common model, and a forum dealing in modern equipment.

David
Old 15th Apr 2024, 12:21 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Apparently from 1991 David, so not exactly new, though I appreciate your sentiments

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...sa-gx303.shtml

The -505 seems to be the model we had over here.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2024, 1:21 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The OP's post suggests he is using it as a stereo amplifier, though I may be wrong.

It would be informative if he could ascertain exactly what's getting hot, and whether it's hotter than it used to be. An infra-red 'point and shoot' thermometer is useful here.

AV amplifiers do get warm. If it's no hotter than usual ISTR a small capacitor in the protection circuit on some Technics amplifiers making it more sensitive than it should be.