UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2020, 9:32 pm   #1
AndrewMcIntyre
Triode

Default Uher 4200 Report Stereo

I bought the Uher 4200 a couple of years ago and have been meaning to get to it. With all this lockdown etc I've finally got the time. I replaced the belts with some I ordered from Germany.

I've followed the lubrication instructions from similar models. The recorder performs mechanically very well. All rubber parts are in a good condition.

However, the playback volume is slightly low and has distortion. I have recorded on the set. It erases properly but records sounds in a distorted manner as well.

I've done some basic checks on the power supply.

I can't seem to find the service manual (beyond the lubrication instructions) anywhere on the internet. The only versions are the IC version. Mine appears to be late 60s transistors.

I'm attaching a picture. Are there any internet links someone can suggest? I really need a circuit diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	medium_2007_0128.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	207329  
Old 31st May 2020, 11:21 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Uher 4200 Report Stereo

I've been working on two of this exact model. I think that model's service manual is on HiFi engine but it wasn't easily located at first. Im not in a position to check it now. Have you checked the record/play head and the associated felt pads on the brass strip backing? If not right these parts can lead to muffled sound which can easily distort in the small internal speaker.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 12:55 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I have been fooled in the past by a speaker with a rubbing cone. Worth a check?
Old 1st Jun 2020, 1:39 pm   #4
AndrewMcIntyre
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
I've been working on two of this exact model. I think that model's service manual is on HiFi engine but it wasn't easily located at first. Im not in a position to check it now. Have you checked the record/play head and the associated felt pads on the brass strip backing? If not right these parts can lead to muffled sound which can easily distort in the small internal speaker.
Thanks yes. I've done the basic checks. Will try to locate the correct manual on hifi engine. The only one that comes up is for later models..
Old 1st Jun 2020, 1:54 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Try this site, takes a bit of trawling through to get to right area.

https://cryptomuseum.com/covert/rec/...port/index.htm
Old 1st Jun 2020, 2:02 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Different model and different symptoms, so a long shot but check my Post # 81 of my Thread below for loose pinch wheel possibility (i.e. poor tape to head contact possibility).

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162583
Old 1st Jun 2020, 2:24 pm   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

I think this is the manual I used. It's for the Report Pilot 1000 but should be similar to yours.

But good tape to head contact is something often overlooked as a source of poor, muddy sound. Getting that right is kind of tape recorder "meat and potatoes". Even if it turns out not to be the main problem it's good to check it out and eliminate it. In both the Reports I worked on both heads were worn and the small felt pressure pads were well and truly beyond help. I had to make up and glue in replacement pads. Quite a fiddly job.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...rt-pilot.shtml

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 1st Jun 2020 at 2:30 pm.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 2:33 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

https://www.cryptomuseum.com/covert/..._4400_supp.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 9:08 pm   #9
AndrewMcIntyre
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

THANK YOU!!! This is the correct circuit. Much appreciated!
Old 4th Jun 2020, 6:23 pm   #10
AndrewMcIntyre
Triode

Okay - So I've done some work. I replaced the 20 or so electrolytics as they tape deck was produced in the late sixties. And a couple looked suspect as they were swollen. I found a couple of dry joints and went over that. I found rust on one of the micro variable resistors. I adjusted the voltages according the service manual and also found the input voltage a bi low. i corrected this. After all that work, whatever the fault was originally corrected itself and its a very decent tape deck. The two fastest speeds sound really good. The two lower sound like a regular cassette deck. I'm very happy with the restoration.

IT came with the original mics still in their original boxes, a leather carry carry and over the shoulder strap. Judging by the heads, this hasn't seen too many hours of service.

Thanks everyone for the links and advice.
Closed Thread