UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2020, 3:49 pm   #1
Petedox
Pentode

Default Quad II Nameplates

I've been looking at an old thread from 2010 regarding removing/filling cracks in the Quad II perspex nameplates.

However, I have two that have chunks missing, either due to overtightening of the screws, or from corrosion pushing up from behind. See pic.

Has anyone had any joy at remaking these? They are quite small (at around 72mm x 38mm x 2mm), and I've thought about having some blank plates cut and engraved, but I'm concerned as to the accuracy and correct font etc.

I the past I have used photoshop to reconstruct damaged glass fascias, so toyed with the idea of copying the nameplate onto a new transparent film and sticking this to the back of a perspex blank....but I get a feeling this wouldn't look right.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad Nameplate 2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	203517  
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 3:23 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad II Nameplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petedox View Post
I the past I have used photoshop to reconstruct damaged glass fascias, so toyed with the idea of copying the nameplate onto a new transparent film and sticking this to the back of a perspex blank....but I get a feeling this wouldn't look right.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Pete
I think you'd stand a better chance Pete if rather than a transparency, you created a cleaned up image using Photoshop and printed a waterslide transfer on 'decal' paper which you can get for both laser and ink-jet printers. (I've only used in on ink-jet). For a label attached directly to a solid background white paper produces best results, but to apply it to the rear of a clear glass or acrylic panel you'd need to use clear film rather than white as you'll need to reverse the image and apply the transfer to the rear of the clear acrylic blank. You can't reverse an image printed on white decal paper to apply to the reverse of a clear acrylic or glass panel because when you slide the transfer off its backing paper, the rear of the transfer is white.

My only reservation about how authentic the image would look is that the clear film isn't very opaque. It's fine when applied to a solid background such as a blank painted metal radio dial panel viewed through glass, but is unsuitable for a clear glass radio dial. As an example, some time ago I printed off some reversed scans of various DAC90A dials which looked excellent whist still on the white backing paper, but when applied to the rear of the glass, where some areas of the design need to be completely opaque and others areas, 'see through'. The result was very 'wishy washy'. I tried to apply another transfer on top of the first one for better opacity. Nice try - no cigar!

On the other hand, I've successfully applied designs I've printed on clear film to solid backgrounds as shown below in the first three pics - a WCR receiver dial decal applied to a solid sprayed plate, a label on VP4 valve that I'd 'prettied up' and on a smoothing cap I refurbished.

In pic 4, I've tidied up the QUAD image a bit that you uploaded, just for illustrative purposes using Photoshop and I think it might be worth you experimenting with along those lines. If you reversed the image, created a decal using clear film, applied it to the rear of the clear acrylic panel, if it wasn't opaque enough when placed against your amp, you might be able to improve on that by spraying the rear of the decal with a fairly close matching paint to the label design - metallic silver for example, or 'mink'.

The paper is quite expensive for small quantities - £3.99 for one sheet, £7.99 for five sheets, but given how much time, effort and expertise you've put into the total refurbishment of you Quad, it might be worth experimenting with.

I've usually bought my paper from 'Mr Decal Paper' on ebay:

For ink-jet printers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/18184016487...RoC3CEQAvD_BwE

For laser printers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Sli....c100677.m4598

Though not directly relevant to your present issue, it might be worth mentioning again that when making water-slide transfers on white paper, there's the advantage that you can mimic white printed text, which we know you can't print on a normal printer, as shown in the examples in pic 5 below.

Hope that might be food for thought Pete.

Thanks for the link to your website and your Quad refurbishments - wow, most impressive!

Quote of the day:

'Success consists of going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm'.

Winston Churchill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wartime Civvy set dial.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	203704   Click image for larger version

Name:	VP4B Valve Water Slide Transfer.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	203705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoothing cap can with waterslide tranfer.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	203710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad Nameplate.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	203711   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRINTING WHTE LETTERING ON WATERSLIDE TRANSFERS.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	203712  

Old 23rd Apr 2020, 12:27 pm   #3
Petedox
Pentode

Hi David, thanks very much for the detailed reply.

I see you have much experience in this area and the waterslide transfers certainly seem to be the way to go. The idea of using the transfer and then applying a 'tint' to the rear sounds a good way to start. To this end I've ordered some of the inkjet transfer sheets you have recommended and will get hold of some thin perspex sheet.

I guess quite a few of us have more time than we thought during lockdown to persue this hobby, and perhaps more time to experiment as well! So I will try some different approaches along the lines that you have suggested, and may perhaps upload the results at a future date, although it's very early days yet - I have literally just removed the badges prior to a strip down and repaint etc (they're quite rusty, with some evidence of a decent repair, but otherwise pretty unmolested).

So thanks again for your help David, I really appreciate the work you have done to 'tidy up' the badge, and the photo examples you have shown. A time consuming reply for you, but typical of the support you seem to give to all members! Cheers.

Pete
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 1:46 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has or is making reproduction ones. I bet there'd be a reasonable demand anyway. They're not difficult to make for an engraver. Here's a link to a page that includes some stuff about the nameplates albeit not directly answering your question: https://www.keith-snook.info/quad-ii...grey-pair.html
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 2:37 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for reading and for you kind comments Pete.

Obviously your image of the badge will be higher definition that mine, which was just from the forum 'thumbnail' so should I think clean up nicely. (You'll need to reverse the image of course so it's the correct way around when applied). You'll probably be able to fit ten on an A4 sheet, so there's scope for experimentation. The instructions will tell you that when you've printed off your sheet, you need to give it two or three coats of clear acrylic lacquer, allowing it to dry after each coat. That seals the transfer and prevents the ink from running.

Applying the transfer is an acquired skill. As they're called 'waterside transfers' the inference is that you slide the transfer off the backing paper, but you don't, or it will wrinkle up. When you've soaked it in a saucer of warm water for a minute or so, you gently test it between finger and thumb to see if it's ready to slide off, and if so, you hold it in the position in which you wish to apply it, still on the backing paper, then slide the backing paper from beneath the transfer while smoothing the transfer into position, making sure that you don't stretch it.

The larger the transfer, the greater the challenge, but in your case it's quite small, which should make the application easier.

You might find that when applied, if you hold it against the spray-painted chassis that it will look okay, but if not, spraying the back of the applied transfer as suggested earlier might make it look more 'solid'. Hard to predict how it will turn out until you've given it a go, so every success with it Pete.

As a footnote, what we call 'transfers' are universally called 'decals' outside of the UK.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 3:23 pm   #6
Petedox
Pentode

Thanks for the link Steve, I've seen Keith Snooks info on this, and I've looked into engraving but I think I'll give the transfers a go first. If nothing else it's an interesting technique, which if mastered, may be suitable for a variety of similar applications.

David, your comments remind me of my childhood frustration in sliding transfers onto the body of an Airfix Spitfire or Lancaster. It never ended well!

Pete
Old 15th May 2020, 2:26 pm   #7
Petedox
Pentode

Default Quad II Nameplates - Update: Acrylic Engraving

Further to my previous post, and excellent advice received. I embarked on Davids idea of reverse printing clear transfers on to the back of perspex blanks.

It took a while to find a similar font to that used by Quad originally. The nearest I could find was 'Lato'. So far, so good. I then had to modify the unique 'Quad' logo, which I did using MS Paint.

So the next stage was to try out my efforts. Initial experiments printing reverse graphic transfers on some scrap acrylic sheet worked very well. After this things did not work out so well!

I had to mark out and cut the 2mm perspex sheet. To get a perfectly square piece with nice 2mm radiused corners, and then clean up the edges to look presentable was extremely difficult. It also has to be drilled. Those that have worked on this material know that ideally you should use a specially angled drill bit, and keep the speed low. After much cussing I was not happy with the results.

Time for a different approach. I toyed with the idea of laser engraving, and looked at a few reviews of cheap Chinese laser engravers which can be obtained for under £60 from Banggood, AliExpess etc. I justified the expense in my mind as 'learning a new skill', but really could not see me using it much in the future.

So, on the off chance I contacted a laser engraving service on ebay. Jon, the designer reckoned it would be quite straightforward to cut and engrave to my specifications. He said, in order to keep the costs down "the more work you do, the less I have to do", so I supplied my artwork which he then refined (much better and quicker than me!). Before engraving he sent me a copy of the artwork for final approval.

The company is Sawfish Lasers: https://sawfishlaser.co.uk/

You can see from his website that they can engrave on to many surfaces, ie wood, metal. He is very friendly and can work from a hand drawing, jpg or a document.

Please see attached, my badges are about 95% accurate to the original, I'm not a purist so that's good enough for me (it won't be an original restoration as I'm fitting IEC sockets etc).

Here's the punchline - I have 4 badges at less than £4 each! I reckon this is an absolute bargain. I have no connection with Sawfish, just a happy customer that found them on a web search.

-------

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Quad 69715.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	205893  

Last edited by Petedox; 15th May 2020 at 2:53 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 15th May 2020, 3:24 pm   #8
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Quad II Nameplates - Update: Acrylic Engraving

That’s very interesting, I have been trying to obtain a new badge for my Pye Black Box, it is the version with - HiFi - on the front. See my other posts.
Hopefully a badge may be forthcoming from another forum member who may be able to make one.
John
Old 15th May 2020, 5:51 pm   #9
Petedox
Pentode

Yes I've seen your post John, I think it's worth contacting Jon (with a good photo), I reckon that maybe he could do something that's at least in keeping with the style of the original.
-------

Pete
Old 15th May 2020, 7:50 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Pete, certainly seems the place to go to get a custom design. I will wait to see how Trevor ( forum member) gets on he offered to try and make me one.
I had some Bush transfers from David a while ago and they were excellent.
John
Old 18th May 2020, 2:33 pm   #11
Petedox
Pentode

John, please see pm.
Old 18th May 2020, 7:23 pm   #12
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Pete, have replied.
John