UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2006, 2:15 pm   #1
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

Default Revox G36 tape counter and L/hand tape guide needed

Hi there
I've got a G36 revox which I've owned for longer than I care to remember(!).
Still working well on it's second set of heads ect.
The tape counter broke some years ago, there are parts missing so I assume it is not repairable so if anybody can point me in the direction of a replacement(?)
Also on the L/hand tape guide the used to be a brass(?) spring/rap-around which has snapped( I presume it was to aid tape tension take up when spooling).
Seems to function okay without it but again would be nice to get it as was.
Any ideas gratefully recieved!
Brian
Old 5th Jan 2006, 5:58 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox G36 tape counter and L/hand tape guide needed

Oh dear!
Join the broken G36 tape counter club. They are available - or were a couple of years ago - for £135.00!!!
Look on e-bay - some German machines of similar vintage (and less value) use a similar one and it might be worth buying a machine just for the counter.
Let me know if you have any luck - especially if you get two!

Glyn
Old 6th Jan 2006, 9:03 am   #3
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Glyn for that info,,
Old 6th Jan 2006, 10:06 pm   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

There is one on Ebay at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUDER-REVOX-G...QQcmdZViewItem

they usually fetch a good price, over the £100 mark but thats a lot to pay for a counter

Have a look at this site
http://www.taperecorder.co.uk/spares.htm
And this one
http://www.revox.freeuk.com/

Hope this helps
Old 7th Jan 2006, 1:16 pm   #5
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

thanks for the leads, Bit of a dead end with taperecorder co' and Brian Reeves
( revox UK)
You mention G36 on ebay, there is also an E36 chassis in what appears to be very fine nick a bit too good to vandalize I think!!
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Brian
Old 7th Jan 2006, 11:44 pm   #6
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Brian, I'll check my spares, may have a suitable counter, may require slight mod. to allow fitment. The E/F has a similar counter 3 digit but knurled wheel set. G36 has push button reset. Also look for the left hand auto stop bush LH spool.

Doffery
Old 7th Jan 2006, 11:48 pm   #7
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

If you have one of the earlier versions of the G , it may have the knurled wheel reset
Old 8th Jan 2006, 11:59 am   #8
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Looking at my F36, the counter looks the same, the counter wheel is see through, I would have thought the E36 is the same, also if you would like to buy the E36 off Ebay, I would buy the rest off ther mahcine off you, both will win
Old 9th Jan 2006, 3:27 pm   #9
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry Doffrey, I'm new to this forum and missed your postings!!
Thanks everso much for your help(whether sucessfull or not).
My G is probably one of the last production models and the counter was basically all plastic(all the connectiing bit have disintergrated !)
The tape guide is not the one with the auto stop lense in it but the one on the other side( before tape) and had a spring metal(?) raparound.
Oh and i missed the E36 on ebay, went for £53 +p&P ,,,never mind .
Many thanks again to you all!!I've just bought a A77 mk 3/4 HS ( amazing how similar to the G it is in many ways!)
got a few problems wiith it which are more annoying than any thing major for instance, the lefthand record switch isn't latching very well and easily pops out( Brian Reeves says it's probably needs cleaning but having taken the front panel off found you cant get to it without dismantling the board a bit which I must admit I'm a bit wussy about in case it all flies in different directions!
Also on power up, the meters really wack over and dim very slightly when activating the motors,,, Is all well with my beast? Cheers Brian
Old 9th Jan 2006, 4:32 pm   #10
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Me again!
Sorry Doffery for getting you name arse about face and thank you 'reel to reel man' for your contribution!!
Brian
Old 9th Jan 2006, 11:17 pm   #11
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hello again, checked my spares but the 3 digit counter, taken from an F is not suitable for the G as the mounting is different.

I have checked the "wrap round " you mention on the LH feed guide, it is part of the auto stop mechanism, operating a leaf spring , either on/off . Your switch must be in the on position if it works.!

Re. your 77 ,Brian Reeves is probably correct re. the non latching, however your other problem could well be a problem with the HT supply, at least , you need some expert attention on this.

Regards.

Doffery
Old 9th Jan 2006, 11:27 pm   #12
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

thanks again Doffery, HT supply! Blimey!
G36 still auto stops(?) are you sure there is some circuit attached to this guide?
cheers
Brian
Old 9th Jan 2006, 11:39 pm   #13
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

As Mentioned The Wrap Round Operates A Spring Set At Rear Of Head Block But If Your Wrap Around Is Not There!!!!!?
Old 12th Jan 2006, 3:18 pm   #14
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

Hi again Doffery.

I think where we are crossing wires with regards 'endof tape switch' G36 is illustrated in the service manual.
From serial number 58000 (mine is 62183) the operation was performed with a photoelectric sensor housed in the right hand tape guide which activates a two transistor on off circuit.
From serial number 36500 the function was acheived with a snap on snap off switch that as you say, was attached to a gold plated wire contact somehow attached to the left hand guide .
This does not apply to my G36 so maybe someone before me fitted the wrong guide(??) I must say though that I still think the bronzey spring that has broken on mine was purely a crude 'shock absorber' when spooling.
i took your advise and contacted a london repair firm regarding my A77 (meters jumping on power up ect) and was informed that ,allthough it may not indicate anything seriously amiss , I should expect to pay anything from £300 to £600 for any faults to be rectified I think for the time being I'll le them jump away!!
Can somebody though convince to dissmantle the record switch to sort that poor latching out( are there any 'no no's when getting to it?)
Again thanks in advance for ANY advise and or encouragment in my endevours
Brian
Old 13th Jan 2006, 12:06 am   #15
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Angry Re: Revox G36 tape counter and L/hand tape guide needed

Hi Brian,
I misunderstood one of your earlier comments when you mentioned "the tape guide was not one with the lense" Hence I took it to be the lh tape guide auto stop!!!

Sorry about the London prices for repair but that's what you get Sth. of Watford!!!!!

Colin (Doffery)
Old 14th Jan 2006, 2:27 pm   #16
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Revox G36 tape counter and L/hand tape guide needed

Hi Brian,
Neglected to offer my advice re. the non locking switches on your 36, it is a simple device. Just remove chassis from cabinet, by operating the switches you are concerned with you will note the simplicity. The locking is purely a raised part of the static plate which locks the switches, just check the static plate is secure. No need for stripping the assembly down.

Best of luck.

Doffery
Old 14th Jan 2006, 5:54 pm   #17
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info',,,, but,,,,, I was refering to the lefthand record enable switch on my A77 which is not latching too well(sorry!)
It appears to me that to really get to it one would have to more or less dismantle the circuit board because right over the offending catch is what appears to be part of the chassis so you really can't see whats going on with it. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or am I wise to be cautious fiddling around in this area .
I'm by no means cack handed but I'd hate to damage anything out of ignorance!!
Anyway cheers Colin, if you could let me in on how you would get to it
I'd be really gratefull
Old 14th Jan 2006, 6:22 pm   #18
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Brian,
Sorry misunderstod you again, you mean the play/record (middle button of the five) key on the bank , Left side I presume it is not operating on play either

If so , I regret there is no easy way to get at this as service engineers will tell you. It might be the latching has broken , not uncommon. If I have got the wrong item again, let me know.,

Doffery
Old 14th Jan 2006, 6:26 pm   #19
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Got it wrong again Brian, the 77¬!!! I was thinking of the G36. However same applies , not an easy job , perhaps the latching again if cleaning has not done the job. Not a job for the inexperienced.

Doffery
Old 14th Jan 2006, 7:01 pm   #20
Puzzler
Retired Dormant Member

Hi again Colin(Doffery)

The thing is one can't actually effectively clean this particular mechanism without some dismantling as you cant get to it otherwise
I'll just get the urge one day and crack into it!!
I actually replaced all the waffers years ago on the G36 switch cluster but, I was a lot younger and more foolhardy( spelling?)
PS Ilove these smiley things ::
Cheers again Colin
Closed Thread