UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2018, 10:38 am   #41
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Re: Gents Master Clocks advice

I think there is more 'clock' discussion here than on the two Yahoo forums combined, it seems to have fallen in latter years noticeably.
Old 14th Apr 2018, 11:59 am   #42
mark_in_manc
Octode

FWIW I enjoy the 'smorgasbord' in this section of the forum, underpinned by the well-organised content in other areas. In fact for me it's the Lidl-cente-aisle of UKVRRR - who knows what gems / useless old ****e one is going to find from one visit to the next

Last edited by mark_in_manc; 14th Apr 2018 at 12:01 pm. Reason: Bald crudity, asterisked for the maintenance of the proper professional tone
Old 24th May 2018, 5:11 pm   #43
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I have now got my master clock system up and running. I'm running 3 slave clocks . 1 clock was a nightmare to get working every time I put it up it would miss half a minute pulse now and then . On the bench it all worked well . In the end a complaint strip down and oil sorted it.
The master clock works great .i can't believe how accurate it is . It's well within 2 seconds a week. I want to add more to it at a latter date if I can find more clocks etc . Thanks all Andy
Old 24th May 2018, 7:26 pm   #44
peterpiper
Tetrode

Hi All, I,ve had a Gillett and Jhonston master clock in use for about 30 years but like Russell, I found the ker-klunk too much at night. I got round this by disabling the escapement that drives the toothed wheel and fitting an IR slotted opto coupler to detect the pendulum as it transited left to right. This triggers a 555 timer that feeds a solenoid (100v pa transformer) pushing a magnet lower down on the pendulum. Result, silence except for the slight sound of the slave ticking every 30 secs. The rest of the Vero converts the 30 sec impulse to hours then then to a chime every hour, silenced between midnight to midday. Not very horological but it has allowed a 70 year old clock to be the main time keeper in the house.
Peterhttps://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gifhttps://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gifhttps://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	163487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3399.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	163488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3403.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	163489  
Old 24th May 2018, 8:14 pm   #45
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I've never understood concern about the 'ker-klunk'! I have a Gents C6 master running on the landing perhaps 12 feet from my bedroom, driving a Distribution Board a bit closer and slaves including the one in my bedroom. I'm only conscious of the noise if I actually listen to it, otherwise it just fades into the background, and if I stop the system for any reason the silence is quite disturbing!

Andy
Old 24th May 2018, 9:41 pm   #46
mark_in_manc
Octode

My ITR master is screwed to the side of the stairs - a great sounding board. One massive ker-wait three seconds-KLUNK a minute is OK, but I've disabled the 'catch up any missed slave minutes once an hour' feature, as it sounds like one has moved into a pressing plant. As for putting the clocks back an hour...660 Ker-KLUNKs at two second intervals
Old 24th May 2018, 10:56 pm   #47
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
I've never understood concern about the 'ker-klunk'!
Neither have I, but Mrs Barnes thinks differently.

Peter - that's an interesting and clever mod you did on your clock there to make it silent. Needs must!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 25th May 2018, 2:10 am   #48
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I got my master clock in the utility. Even there we can here the clunk every 30 seconds probably the whole street can as well. I thought I'm not going to be able to put up with this but a few weeks on We have got so used to it we take no notice.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:48 pm   #49
mark_in_manc
Octode

This is a bit off-topic; but I used to work in noise and vibration control. It's amazing how 'our own' noise sources can soon blend into the background, whereas those for whom 'someone else' is responsible can become, for some people, unbearable. Altogether now, 'ommm'
Old 25th May 2018, 5:28 pm   #50

I have a book (970's) about sound noise and insulation, one of the best quotes from it is "any noise made by yourself isn't annoying". Back to master clocks, I use a Magneta PO36 type, Hipp toggle rather than a Synchronome clunk, much quieter.

Closed Thread