UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2016, 6:43 pm   #1
Jeremym0xvf
Diode

Default Pye shaver mic timeout

Hello group,

I have an old Pye shaver mic in use on my M293, and I would like to disable the timeout as I like to waffle on a bit. I have had a look inside and wonder if someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Jeremy
Old 9th Jan 2016, 8:10 pm   #2

Default Re: Pye shaver mic timeout

What is an M293?

Old 9th Jan 2016, 8:25 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's a Pye mobile radio: http://www.pmrconversion.info/manuals/pye/M293.pdf
This one has a different microphone, the "shaver" nickname is a play on it's appearance, as with the "Toaster" radio.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 8:33 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

See here:

http://www.peel.dk/AP/pdf/PYE%20M296.pdf

and scroll down to page 32. Shorting "C1" [the 33uf electrolytic] should kill the timeout.

Alternatively, junk the timeout-module entirely.

Page 43 shows the non-timered mic wiring. Remember that the "shaver" mic is an electret insert so needs DC to power the insert.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 8:37 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I would have thought the timer would be a function of the main PCB in the radio with a link perhaps to alter/ disable the timer. Saying that, as it was designed as a PMR set, there may not be a user disable, so you may have to modify the PCB. I used to work on M294 FM sets but can't remember the timeout adjust. If the M294 is similar to the M293 I have the circuit for the 294 so may be able to point you in the right direction.
Alan.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 10:27 pm   #6
Jeremym0xvf
Diode

Thank you for the replies,after another inspection I had thought shorting C1 would disable the timeout and will do it tomorrow morning.Just in case anyone is interested I use Pye westminsters, MX 294,293 and various Storno and Tait radios on amateur bands both AM and FM
Thanks again
Jeremy
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:15 pm   #7
g0hze snowy
Hexode

the m293 is an AM set, 6 position crystal control set. the mx are eprom controlled
Old 10th Jan 2016, 4:30 pm   #8
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I am a licensed amateur too and use a Key KM150 converted for 2M. It only has sixteen channels but that is enough for the repeaters around here. It was "saved" from the scrap heap at work many years ago and all it needed for conversion was an eprom reprogram and retune. It's a good set and doesn't draw too much attention in my latest job as it blends in with all the other PMR stuff. I don't think it's generally viable to convert crystal controlled sets unless you are really keen!
Alan.
M1CEU.
Old 10th Jan 2016, 8:17 pm   #9
Jeremym0xvf
Diode

Cap shorted and timout disabled,brilliant

I have had a KM 150 on 2m I thought it was a good set, gave it away to someone starting out in the hobby.Also had a Key KM 80 on 4m FM which was very sensitive, good audio and 30W out-a useful radio.
As you say the price of crystals usually puts paid to some conversions, but some are worth it I think. A lot of my kit is older than me (1973 vintage) and is in use pretty much every day , I like to keep older stuff going and repair radios etc for friends, its a big part of the hobby(Ham radio) for me

Thanks again for the helpful comments,

Jeremy
Old 11th Jan 2016, 12:40 am   #10
Biggles
Rest in Peace

There's a lot to be said about the simplicity of ex PMR utility sets. No multi layer menus and SMD components. Volume, on-off, channel change and mute. That's all you need. I'm aware this is wandering well off topic now so I'd better sign off. Feel free to contact me if you think I can help you out with Pye/Philips/Motorola PMR sets.
Alan.
Closed Thread