UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2015, 10:30 pm   #1
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Question Trio TS711E

Hi All, I have recently acquired a TRIO TS 711e, on switch on the display shows all 9,s and beeps at 1 second intervals, if I move the RIT control the beeps stops. The FM, AUTO and COM LED's are lit, I am unable to perform a reset by the given method ( power off, press a/b and power on), the squelch/busy lamp is inoperative, voltages appear correct, at one point there was 100Mw rf at approx. 6.25Hzs higher than display frequency, it has now stopped any TX at all, then the beeps started. Can anybody point me in the right direction please
Moderator, sorry if this is in the wrong category, please move to the correct one. Thanks
Old 18th Dec 2015, 10:49 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: trio ts711 e

Have you done a reset?

http://mw0gkx.co.uk/radprog/kenwoodreset/resetts.htm has the relevant details.

Is the Lithium memory-backup-battery OK?

[A quick Google shows the comment: "The lithium battery is Kenwood part # W09-0326-05, which is discontinued and replaced by W09-0599-05 but who cares what Kenwood calls it. It's a generic lithium battery. Panasonic used to call it CR2032/1F2 but they have new numbers now also. Take a look at the charts on the bottom of this page: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...cal/br-cr.aspx. You'll see that all you need to do is measure the diameter and height of your existing battery, determine which lead configuration is used and specify the insulation wrap option. You can get these from the usual suppliers such as Digikey or Mouser. Kenwoodparts.com has this under the Kenwood part numbers above."

Manual available here: http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/TS711_user.pdf
Old 18th Dec 2015, 11:22 pm   #3
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Default Re: trio ts711 e

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply, I am waiting for a replacement cell now, I thought that was required just for remembering the memory settings so I have left it out, please see my post re the reset, I am unable to do that. cheers,snowy
Old 19th Dec 2015, 12:11 am   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Trio TS711E

The answer is remove the backup battery and short out the contacts (rig of course unpowered) then await arrival of replacement and fingers crossed it will then if needed re set.

PS Normally pretty good model I still have my 700G from new.
Old 19th Dec 2015, 7:56 am   #5
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Hi Hamish, thanks for the update, I will do that once I am back from my Saturday trip to A++i, I had done that but just touched the 2 posts with a croc clip, I will leave it on there for a few hours/days as you suggest. cheers,snowy
Old 19th Dec 2015, 1:10 pm   #6
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Have fitted replacement button cell, radio still not performing a factory reset, so, I still have the same problem, any more suggestions or help please, thanks in advance,snowy
Old 19th Dec 2015, 1:39 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Press buton A and B with rig off while powering on.Is that how you tried it?

Also the manual is here I just downloaded it.

Other than that it could be a programming problem.
Old 19th Dec 2015, 2:27 pm   #8
g0hze snowy
Hexode

I have pressed the A/B button and switched on the radio, no joy, I have downloaded and printed both the user and service manuals, over 100 pages, hopefully it will be useful IF I can get it to reset.
Old 19th Dec 2015, 2:38 pm   #9

Does the A/B button work? and is connected to the micro?

Old 19th Dec 2015, 2:41 pm   #10
g0hze snowy
Hexode

ahh yes I had thought of that and found a couple of wires off, so resoldered them into place but still no joy, my next step is to remove the front, again, and check with the meter if all the buttons are working and not stuck. snowy
Old 19th Dec 2015, 2:44 pm   #11
g0hze snowy
Hexode

As I had the front off a couple of times now, I thought that maybe I had got the a couple of the plug and sockets the wrong way but honestly as the cable form is pre-shaped I don't think that I have done that.
Old 19th Dec 2015, 6:00 pm   #12

Check at the micros pin directly, is it socketed? If so a clean and reseat may help.

Another thought, are the voltages round the micro correct?

Old 19th Dec 2015, 6:43 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

A number of radios, mostly Icoms, had the very nasty trick of having important data held in battery-powered SRAM. Some kept only band edge etc info, but some kept the entire operating software. When the battery went, the whole thing lost its marbles and it not only needed a battery, you needed to source the code and perform a download.

Is the TS711 free of such stupidity?

David
Old 19th Dec 2015, 8:08 pm   #14
g0hze snowy
Hexode

thanks all for the help, I will have to investigate the voltages, I am 99.9% certain that the micro is soldered in place, so removal is not an option this time. as for the code and such I will have to read the service manual, if it is in there!
Old 20th Dec 2015, 2:43 pm   #15
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Hi all, some success at last, now got the radio reset ( it helps if you press the correct a=b button), so now I am back to 100mWs of rf power, no squelch or busy light, took out the IF board and found a 1cm length of tinned wire shorting out the q34 3sk73y ssb fet and no voltage passing thru' q60, this turned on the busy light. parts ordered. rf frequency out is 5.5mHz higher than dial frequency, ie 145.000 shows as 151.500, this possibly due to the aforementioned faulty trannies, or not, but until I get them fitted I cant be sure.
Old 20th Dec 2015, 2:44 pm   #16
g0hze snowy
Hexode

ooops, back to school for me, that's 6.5mHz difference
Old 9th Jan 2016, 8:05 pm   #17
g0hze snowy
Hexode

well I finally got the ts711 repaired, fault was in the regulator board, repaired by swapping for a known worker, now got to fault the original and return the worker to its owner.thanks to all that assisted.
Closed Thread