UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:17 am   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Murphy B40/B41 front panel paint colours

Good evening,
I have been having a look at the Murphy B41 receiver I picked up at RWB. (the real B41 not the B40 in disguise ) The front panel and case are a slightly yellow/cream colour rather than grey my other B40's are. Does the colour identify where the set could have been used.

This one needs the front panel and case stripped and resprayed as it has seen a fair amount of being bashed especially around the hinged cursor door and looks rather tatty. I would like to repaint it an original light grey colour but does anyone know the colour specification of the paint used.
Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:25 am   #2
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Murphy B40/B41 front panel paint colours

Here is the front panel of the set removed from the chassis.
The other picture shows how quick the set can be dismantled into modules for servicing. This took me around 10 minutes to complete.
Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	murphy2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	117825   Click image for larger version

Name:	murphy1.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	117826  
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:45 am   #3
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Default Re: Murphy B40/B41 front panel paint colours

Looks like you have it sitting on the logging scale, mind you dont bend the drive shaft in to the lower gearbox.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:58 am   #4
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Ah I had already thought of that and hidden from view there is a small wooden paintbrush lodged underneath now doing a supporting role taking the weight of the front of the chassis !!
Many thanks for the tip!
Christopher Capener
Old 4th Jan 2016, 7:03 pm   #5
QWENIX
Pentode

read this discussion..... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70838

British Standard Specification 381C, colour 697 light admiralty grey.
The RAF in holland used to paint it over wih a brush (very ugly) in a grey colour. The Royal Navy here uses the same colour as in the UK. The mentioned BSc colour.

best regards, qwenix
Old 4th Jan 2016, 11:10 pm   #6
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good evening,
I had not thought of powder coating though I have seen it used at a previous employer and the results are very good. The thickness of finish can hide small blemishes in the surface of the item.
I found a company in Rugby that does powder coating of steel/cast iron/cast aluminium ECT. and can also do bead blasting of old paint finishes. The prices they quote for things like old iron radiators seem reasonable so I have dropped them an email with the work required and see what they can do.
Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 5th Jan 2016, 1:19 pm   #7
QWENIX
Pentode

Dont forget to remove all parts which are screwed on the front. After removal or even at the backside of the front or the inside of the steel cabinet you will have a better view of what the colour should be....

http://www.ifspowdercoating.co.uk/bs...lour_chart.htm

Some receivers used in the dutch Royal Air Force seem to have a colour like the 627 or 676 colour same BSC number.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 10:57 am   #8
sidspop
Triode

Take the unstripped panel to a good paint dealers, such as Johnstones. A lot of these shops have a gizmo, which I believe is called a Spectrahelioscope. Basically a spectrum analyser for colour, which samples the colour and gives a readout in percentages of RYB.
When you have a RAL colour, then go to a paint manufacturer that deals in car paint, and buy a rattle can.
Powder coating would work, but colours can be limited. The whole unit would need stripping back to bare metal. There are industrial powder coaters, and better ones.
One to be recommended is called Washford Finishings, in Redditch, who have dealings with a lot of custom car and show car people.
Closed Thread