UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2013, 10:09 am   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Naval B40 installation

This picture of the radio room of the HMAS Vampire in Sydney Harbour Maritime Museum has been sent to me so I'll pass it on for interest.

There look to be 3 different models but I can't make them out clearly. Perhaps also a 62B and a B41. Maybe someone could identify them from their knob layout.

In the late 1970s or early 80s I used to buy B40s from a firm called Reclamations just off Digbeth in B'ham.They had a warehouse with B40s stacked 4 high, 10 deep and about 20 wide, hundreds of them and pretty well all model B40Ds in very good condition. It was a strange experience climbing and walking over a pile of B40s to select the best.

Over a period of two months I bought nine at a total cost of £120. Their policy was that if you bought two they'd throw a faulty one in FOC so for £40 you got three. The 'faults' most commonly were caused by the warehouse men banging them about. If the front B40 was banged into one behind it, it had the effect of forcing the tuning knob hard back against the panel. This made the knob very stiff to turn and also took the spring pressure off the dial drive clutch so the tuning drum wouldn't turn. It was usually a simple case of freeing off the knob and everything was fine. Everybody I knew in those days had a B40 or two. Of my nine only one a had a genuine fault.

All of mine are long gone as is the strength I had then to carry them about.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B40s.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	84596  
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 10:46 am   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Naval B40 installation

Thanks for posting Jim!

Aub
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 6:09 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

I make that around 40 tons of radios! They broke the mould when they designed it, with that helter-skelter tuning dial and clunking turret.
Old 4th Oct 2013, 12:08 am   #4
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

A good friend of mine used to sell a lot of B40s
Attached a couple of pics of his stockroom.

He always said that if they were half the weight and size,
they would sell for four times the money.

I remember him walking to his car with one in each hand.

Kind regards

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b40 1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	84640   Click image for larger version

Name:	b40 2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	84641  
Old 10th Oct 2013, 7:07 pm   #5
RogerWalker
Hexode

". . . I remember him walking to his car with one in each hand . . ."

He must have been a VERY tall, strong fellow! I can barely move mine around with a sack barrow.

Roger Walker
Old 10th Oct 2013, 10:55 pm   #6
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Roger,

Not particularly tall, but very strong, - he had been a builder.
I was chatting to him a week or so ago, and reminded him of his antics 20
years ago. He did say that he wouldn't do that now, but he still manages one set without any problem.

Strange coincidence but I used a sack truck for the last B41 I moved!

Kind regards

Dave
Old 30th Oct 2013, 4:08 pm   #7
QWENIX
Pentode

Back to the question. Its a guess due to the distance and sharpness ?. Shelf below: 2x B40D (because of the small BFO/VFO oscillator knob between the cross mod knob and the crystal selector knob) on the right upperside. Shelf above: Leftside in the corner B40D on the right it could be a B41 or a 62B. I've never seen a B41D (do these exist) and the 62B (the one with a audio amplifierstage for more entertainment radio).

See my B40 collection:

http://www.gloeidraad.nl/radioforum/index.php?id=146815

(I am a Dutch Murphy B40 collector and as a SWL I do have about 8 pieces (2 B41, 62B and a few B40 A,C,D, models) working. If someone has a spare original B41 or B40 manual BR1617, BR1618 or the FAZ manual B.R.2432 then send me an PM please.)

best regards Qwenix

Last edited by QWENIX; 30th Oct 2013 at 4:13 pm.
Closed Thread