UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2006, 1:29 pm   #1
OldWood
Retired Dormant Member

Default Servicing Akai 4000D Tape recorder

Hello there - I'm a new member.

My Akai 4000D has sat in the attic for more years than I should admit to ! Does any one have any information on taking it to pieces as it powers up OK and works, but there is a regular knocking sound that does disappear with time. In general before I use it in anger I would like to oil the bearings, etc as they will all have dried out somewhat, plus of course get rid of the knocking sound.

I've got as far as getting the top panels off but can't see how to get the guts of the thing out.

Rob
Old 20th Mar 2006, 7:11 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Servicing Akai 4000D Tape recorder

Hi Rob, to take the chassis out, remove the four feet & usually two , sometimes four screws from bottom of cabinet.

Then you have access to most items, the knocking, might well be the belt having lost it's shape due to lack of use, should change it anyway,

Cheers.

Doffery
Old 21st Mar 2006, 9:12 am   #3
OldWood
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Servicing Akai 4000D Tape recorder

Many thanks Doffery - inevitably having made the post I discovered the way in later in the day.

I also guessed that the knocking sound is the belt, particularly as it reduces as it is used and presumably warms up slightly, but does come back again when cold.

Where can I get a replacement belt from ? I've had the motor off - my goodness how heavily they built things then - and have cleaned up the pulley surfaces so putting a new belt on is no problem.

Many thanks

Rob
Old 21st Mar 2006, 11:16 am   #4
reelguy
Heptode

Rob, Re knocking noise. You could also check the rubber pinch wheel as these harden with age and sometimes crack causing a similar knock. Just a thought. Peter Reelguy
Old 21st Mar 2006, 7:36 pm   #5
OldWood
Retired Dormant Member

OK I'm making progress - the belt is definitely mishapen after years in one position.

I've measured it's current diameter which is 115 mm (nominally) - it's flat about 7mm across and 1mm thick. The new question(s) now is/are that assuming I cannot get the actual right component and Cricklewood for example don't stock 115mm dia. flat belts, what do I replace it with? How far out will the 115mm be - do I look for something a few mm less and use several square or round belts ?

Rob
Old 21st Mar 2006, 8:51 pm   #6
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

You could try the old dodge of boiling it; if you're thinking of replacing the belt anyway and it's not started to enter a "goo phase" then it's worth a try.

A full description of my version of the process was covered in an earlier post here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=28985

Regards, Kat
Old 21st Mar 2006, 10:30 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

CPC do a 108mm x 5.2mm one, code AVBELT13 @0.95. Not ideal, but might do at a pinch
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 12:14 am   #8
Michael Maurice

Charles Hyde list VID7251, but its a special order.
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 7:59 am   #9
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Servicing Akai 4000D Tape recorder

I have the belts for the 4000 range, care to PM me?

Doffery
Old 29th Mar 2006, 12:31 am   #10
Top Cap
Octode

I had a regular knocking sound due to a dent in the pinch wheel, often caused by either the tape getting trapped at the end of the supply reel or the machine auto stop. The latter simply turns off the motor but keeps the capstan pressed against the pinch wheel. I had not then discovered this excellent forum and after fruitless searching found a great guy in the States called Terry Witt. He re-builds any rubber rollers and did a fantasic job on my 4000D pinch roller. His web site is www.TerrysRubberRollers.com
Closed Thread