UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2006, 2:21 am   #1
lotus72
Retired Dormant Member

Default overhaul of a Sony TC-677

This is my first post here. At least, I think it's a TC-677 quarter inch machine. Bought after my first twelve months at work at the BBC in 1977. It's the model that would automatically play the other side of the tape without having to change the spools round, therefore, the heads actually swivled 180 degrees!! Anyone remember this model? I'd dearly like to get it working again, probably needs a good clean etc. I've not had it working in at leats 15 years. My Akai deck in nowhere near as good. Can anyone help me ?? I'm based in Shepperton, Middlesex.
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 10:35 am   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: overhaul of a Sony TC-677

Hi, I am not familiar with this model..You didnt actually say what was wrong with the machine,Its a good idea to give the heads and tape path a good clean,And check any belts or rubber idlers etc before use.Also a very small drop of oil in the right places.. I know there was a cassette recorder with heads that swivelled round but not a reel recorder!!!? . A lot of reel recorders could switch to reverse play or record at the end of tape so didnt need the head to swivel. Usually just another set of heads..However, I shall have to check for info now just out of curiosity. Are you sure about the model number?. And let us know what problems you have.. Quite a few people can offer expert help on here. {Unfortunately I am not one of them } Peter {Reelguy} Owner of lots of reel recorders, Master of none
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 9:41 am   #3
lotus72
Retired Dormant Member

the ONLY thing wrong with the machine is that it hasn't been used in a good 15 years so I'm sure it could do with a general clean up and overhaul etc. to get it working again.....
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 2:32 pm   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

It sounds like a great machine, how handy are you with a screwdriver? I have only worked on the TC-377 and similar 7 inch reel to reels, the 10.5" machines is something I don't have in my collection but that has not stopped me fixing machines in the past, if the heads rotate, does this mean its done by a little motor or by a solenoid? 15 years for a Sony to stand still is bad news as the pivots have a grease in them which goes very hard, though the machines I use have not got three motors, there may be less to oil inside on your machine. Its sounding like the machine needs a good service, if you can send pics and such I may be able to talk you through unless you ever take trips down to Devon.
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 3:52 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Does your Sony have one motor or three? I have a booklet on servicing Sony tape recorders, otherwise you could always bring it to me.
Closed Thread