UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2019, 9:27 am   #41
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: The BBC Apollo coverage tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Am I dreaming it but I’m sure that modern recordings of Armstrong’s famous speech don’t have the NASA bleep in the middle but I remember hearing it at the time.
I also recall that the original speech was different, he said "One small step for man" but NASA edited in "a" so that the modern recordings he says "One small step for A man"

Peter
Old 7th Mar 2019, 9:55 am   #42
Malcolm T
Hexode

If that,s the case they will be getting a few complaints !
Old 7th Mar 2019, 2:17 pm   #43
Electronpusher0
Nonode

After a quick internet search I found this
https://www.space.com/17307-neil-arm...tep-quote.html
which discusses the did he / didn't he say "a man".
Basically listeners at the time did NOT hear the "a", but Armstrong insisted he said it.
Later (2006) computer analysis of the track "found evidence that the missing "a" had been spoken after all: It was a 35-millisecond-long bump of sound between "for" and "man" that would have been too brief for human ears to hear."
What is not clear from that article is whether NASA later "enhanced" the unheard "a"

Peter
Old 7th Mar 2019, 6:18 pm   #44
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I must have heard that "one small step" speech more times than any other human utterance, and I have never heard a version where I could discern "A man"

The final word, "Mankind" was the word that was unclear, NASA blamed it on the VHF aerial on Armstrong's PLSS (backpack) touching metalwork on the LEM
Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:36 am   #45
McMurdo
Dekatron

many americans seem to merge 'for a ' into f'ra by my ears. Like 'mirror' becomes 'meer'. I'm still impressed the audio (and indeed video) made it back to earth at all!
Has anyone seen 'The Dish'..the australian drama of their involvement of the Apollo 11 broadcast? Seems it's out of print on blueray.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 1:32 am   #46
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I saw something on TV during the last week or so, in which some old geezer was interviewed sitting in the control room at Jodrell Bank. They had no official role in the Apollo 11 landing but followed the mission and this chap had what appeared very much to be an A4 (or foolscap) hand-drawn graph (maybe it was a pen recording) showing the height of the LM as a function of time during the last couple of minutes of the flight. Armstrong comes barrelling in, decides he doesn't like what he sees so goes back up again a bit, then hovers for a while, while moving down range, and finally landing.

Somewhere on the internet, there's an informal report of the Jodrell Bank activities that night, as recalled by that chap or one of his colleagues; probably even more fun than watching James Burke!
B
Old 8th Mar 2019, 2:01 am   #47
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
had what appeared very much to be an A4 (or foolscap) hand-drawn graph (maybe it was a pen recording) showing the height of the LM as a function of time during the last couple of minutes of the flight.
http://www.jodrellbank.net/20-july-1...-surface-moon/

I remember many years ago, the original of that pen recording was displayed in the public cafeteria at Jodrell Bank, and looking at it was perhaps the most poignant part of my visit.

Sadly, most mentions of that graph on line, are in the context of debunking conspiracy theories.

"I say, this has really been drama of the highest order". You might need to allow the flash player to work at the top of this page.
At the end, you can hear the carrier Doppler of Lunar 15 as it crash lands in Mare Crisium, just North of the Apollo 11 astronauts still sitting in Eagle on Mare Tranquilltatis.
http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/news/2009/luna15-apollo11/

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 8th Mar 2019 at 2:28 am.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 11:50 am   #48
Malcolm T
Hexode

Interesting , i did not realize at the time what else was going on , thanks for the links .
Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:26 pm   #49
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Has anyone seen 'The Dish'..the australian drama of their involvement of the Apollo 11 broadcast? Seems it's out of print on blueray.
A hidden gem of a film which seems to have passed without notice in many quarters. Its low-key quality makes it something special.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 11:51 pm   #50
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
had what appeared very much to be an A4 (or foolscap) hand-drawn graph (maybe it was a pen recording) showing the height of the LM as a function of time during the last couple of minutes of the flight.
http://www.jodrellbank.net/20-july-1...-surface-moon/
Ah, on the bit I saw, it just showed one line coming down, not the multiple lines where the pen recorder had to be re-set.

In this 50th Anniversary year, it certainly seems to be "hats off" to Elon Musk's team . Seems like he has attracted a lot of very good people to go work at SpaceX, firstly with the launch vehicle which returns to the launch pad and now the Dragon capsule.

B
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:14 pm   #51
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I spoke to the Odeon chain today regarding the Apollo 11 documentary. The guy on the chatline said he could see no planned showing anytime in the future. His recollection was that it was shown on one single day some weeks ago .

Amongst geeky people, it received rave reviews in the US but the film critics couldn't see the point of it.

B
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 8:30 pm   #52
emeritus
Dekatron

Perhaps they need reminding that film critics are not infallible: film critics thought that "The sound of music" was rubbish.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 3:41 pm   #53
Gulliver
Hexode

I remember reading, about a decade ago, that a private individual had recorded the BBC's output that night on a Sony EIAJ VTR, but that he'd used recycled computer tape and by the 2000s his tapes were totally unplayable. Such a shame.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 3:44 pm   #54
andrewferguson
Hexode

Gulliver, that sounds interesting. Any idea where you read that?
Old 29th Mar 2019, 3:52 pm   #55
Gulliver
Hexode

Probably on the site of the "Doctor Who Restoration Team" as they were/are involved in restoring old TV footage for DVD release and broadcast.

I offered the use of my near mint Sony VTR in case it might be able to play the tapes but was told that the tapes were not going to yield images.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 10:29 pm   #56
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I can offer to bake tapes in a vacuum oven if that helps. Times, temperature and pressure all variable.

B
Old 29th Mar 2019, 11:03 pm   #57
julie_m
Dekatron

Some tape formulations just have a tendency to self-demagnetise. Computer tape will be designed to work with a stronger field than video tape, which won't help recording longevity.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 4:47 am   #58
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Back in February in Post#18, I mentioned that, a couple of years ago, NASA found a lot of 70mm film taken during the Apollo 11 mission. This really high quality stuff was never seen by the public before it got lost.

It has been used to produce a new documentary called "Apollo 11" which was due out around May time in the UK, but then it seemed to disappear without trace.

Well, it is currently showing around the UK, I heard something about it on the radio then Googled it. In Oxford, it's showing at the Phoenix cinema over the next few days. If interested, maybe check out your local cinema that deals with film buff and nerdy stuff .

B
Old 25th Jun 2019, 8:56 am   #59
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

As we approach that historic anniversary a reminder too of ITV's coverage.

Now if you were a 'BBC family' then you would not have seen ITV's coverage, but ITV had a rival to James Burke- a very enthusiastic science correspondent called Peter Fairley who adorned the Apollo coverage as well as any news on developments in science and technology. I suppose his contributions have also gone as well? In fact, he only seems to survive as an introduction to the kid's sci fi series Timeslip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSg5q80D5nU

Also worth a mention is the party atmosphere on both channels that night.
The BBC had a programme called something like "what if the moon was made of green cheese"
ITV had David Frost hosting a programme throught the night, both had contemporary guests and singers with Moon themed skits and sketches.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 9:18 am   #60
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

There's a very interesting series currently running on Smithsonian (Freeview channel 99), 'Apollo's Moon Shot'. The second episode was on last night, covering the Gemini flights, it's repeated at various times this week.

Andy
Closed Thread