UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2017, 4:30 pm   #1
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

Default Replacement screen for Bush Type 22 (LCD!!)

Hope I'm not going to upset anyone here but I have the shell of an Old Bush Type 22 TV.
What I want to do is fit an LCD or other flat screen into this unit resting on the inner rubber surround.

What I CANT find is a screen that would fit the opening as well as NOT be too large to fit in the case.

I need a visible screen size of 30cm wide x 23cm high x 33cm diagonal.
HOWEVER: overall screen size including any casing or fixings cannot be more than 35cm wide x 26.5cm high.

The set is going into a Museum display and needs to be safe hence the LCD. A CRT or original bits would not suit the many unruly children who constantly poke their fingers where they shouldn't!!

We have done a similar thing with larger vintage sets but are having trouble here.

Anyone got any ideas of a screen that might suit?.... or a way to get round the problem without it looking tacky?

Thanks!
Old 12th May 2017, 6:47 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Replacement screen for Bush Type 22 (LCD!!)

I take it you are looking for a set (monitor or television receiver), not for a screen (LCD panel or projection surface) only. A 14" (33cm visible) colour CRT would just about fit and could be made to work perfectly reliable (bear in mind that an LCD without front glass is very non-poke resistant so fitting a modern CRT set seems at least as realistic in that aspect, provided a suitable back panel is fitted to the set). Finding a suitable LCD TV set or monitor would probably be problematic in such a small size, maybe a point of sale monitor of 12 to 13 inches (visible) could be made to fit. It might be necessary to manufacture a new mask or rubber surround anyway, since it was never made with a flat tube in mind.

Last edited by Maarten; 12th May 2017 at 6:52 pm.
Old 13th May 2017, 8:48 am   #3
bluepilot
Heptode

There are plenty of PC monitors around in many different sizes. I would have thought it would be easy to find one with the required dimensions. For example I have a Videoseven L15R which has a visible screen of 30.5 x 23 cm. That would be almost perfect. You would need to take the screen out of the housing as there are a load of buttons below the screen which take up space.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs

Last edited by bluepilot; 13th May 2017 at 9:07 am.
Old 13th May 2017, 7:00 pm   #4
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

We tried a CRT but it makes the whole thing far too front heavy. Plus the client dosent want any "old" as they call it electronics in the back.

The front glass on the set is still in place and pretty thick and safe. So an LCD behind that would be fine.

I also plan to trim the rubber surround to accommodate the flat screen. Its quite a big hunk of old rubber so I dont think it would easily replaced.
(We also tamper with the video to make it look a bit bulbous and tube like. Works well!)

Have also tried a most sizes of monitor and those that fill the screen area wont fit the case and those that fit the case wont fill the screen.
I think you will find when you look at my actual measurements and compare them to most screens you will understand.
I'll check out the L15 R if I can find a manual thats not in German!
...or do you have any actual measurements of screen less case?

So basically looking for people to measure anything they think might fit and give me some names?
Old 13th May 2017, 8:05 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Just a thought, you can get LCD driver boards from China via eBay, and match it to a screen that fits, I did this a while ago, I had an old netbook LCD, and bought one of the controller boards, the seller even made up a LVDS cable for me, the whole lot cost me about £30, it even has a remote (with all symbols in Chinese!). It was pretty much plug and play when it arrived, I just had to make my own housing for it. The board accepts signals from HDMI, VGA, composite video, and even has a USB slot that will play back video, music, and photo's on a USB memory stick.

I'm thinking you could get hold of an old laptop screen that fits (I've got an old Apple Macbook here with a small-ish screen), then match it to one of these boards.

Another idea, which you probably won't like! You could remove the rubber mask, and replace it with a flat cardboard one to make mounting the screen easier. Maybe even paint it up in such a way that makes it look 3D.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 16th May 2017, 4:31 pm   #6
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Lloyd. But again its finding a screen that fits the hole! The other bits we are OK with.
We have searched all over (eBay mainly) trying to find ANY size and shape of screen that fits with my original measurements.
We have looked at Laptops. POS monitors, 4:3, 16:9 Tvs, monitors etc.
Looking at products with screen built in at the moment.
Problem is its incredibly difficult to get width height of screen area and width height of overall unit whatever that would be.
...mmm not sure about the cardboard idea?... The surround on the Bush is quite sculptured and has a nice old rubber look to it!
Old 22nd May 2017, 3:57 pm   #7
dave cox
Nonode

12" tablet ?

dc
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:19 am   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Ok, last silly idea! How about a small projector hidden inside, and project the image onto some translucent plastic in the screen area? I'm sure there are some really small LED projectors available, mount it in the top-rear of the cabinet, on an aluminium plate attached to the 2 holes at the back for the rear cover. Then adjust the size of the picture to suit the screen. You could possibly even curve the piece of translucent plastic to the shape of the original CRT.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 23rd May 2017, 3:56 pm   #9
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

Dave: Which 12in Tablet?... do you know of one that WILL adhere to my original specifications??.... the ones we have tried dont.

Llyod: What a silly idea!.... No not so silly really. We have done something similar to this in the past fitting a mini projector inside a 1950's slide projector where we projected a picnic scene, of the 1950's of course) on to a conveniently placed white table cloth hanging over the side of a wicker picnic basket.
Have also done something similar with a Magic Lantern!
I think we actually might give this a go if all else fails. Only problem we had with the projector thing though was that it had to be physically switched on and input selected every day. For museums, where the staff are of the generation where a VHS tape machine is still beyond their grasp, we need a solution that means everything starts and runs automatically when powered up. We have the Players that will do this but hard to find a Projector to match.
We did try butchering the controls of the projector and creating a relay arrangement but it started getting far too complicated and unreliable.
Plus .... for the TVs we are also looking for a cost effective solution.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 4:12 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

This would do, I'm sure: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=137224
Closed Thread