UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2007, 6:43 pm   #1
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

Default BVWS mentioned on Radio 2

I was caught by surprise driving home from work this evening (ok - afternoon!) when, whilst listening to Steve Wright In The Afternoon on BBC Radio 2, I heard the BVWS mentioned!

From time to time he has an Elvis impersonator on (although some say it is the real one!) for a slot called "Ask Elvis"...in which listerners write or call in with diverse questions for him to answer! Sure enough one of todays was from a listerner asking where they could obtain a Pye attache case radio (P something or other), just like the one they had had many years back. After mentioning the obvious e-bay search, "Elvis" then suggested getting in touch with the British Vintage Wireless Society! "...I think they're based in Harpenden..." (suggesting contemporary research is as good as ever!)

I wonder if the web site will take a few more hits today after a name check on national radio?
Old 6th Jul 2007, 3:06 pm   #2
bobsterkent
Hexode

Default Re: BVWS mentioned on Radio 2

I love ask Elvis, its a very funny spot!
Old 6th Jul 2007, 10:34 pm   #3
maxwell
Triode

Hi all.

I recall reading somewhere that Steve Wright did, or does still have a collection of old radios.

Max.
Old 7th Jul 2007, 10:44 am   #4
JoshWard
Octode

I know Jeremy Vine has an Ekco console set (FM only)
Old 7th Jul 2007, 3:57 pm   #5
jay_oldstuff
Octode

a couple of days ago i was listening to radio two and they where discussing the small portable tape recorders that where popular in the late 60's 70's how they both had the philips type with the single control but wanted the piano key type. they where discussing using them in conjunction with a Russian built radio to record the chart show in there youth. sadly i cant remember who the two presenters where.

Jay
Old 15th Jul 2007, 11:19 pm   #6
muttley
Triode

it was Jonathon Ross on Saturday morning. i cant remember if he talking to a guest or his co presenter.
Closed Thread