UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:16 am   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default FM tuner module FTE4-400T

I've been trying to find information on this FM tuner module without success. Can anybody help?

The module was fitted to the European versions of TEAC's CR-H100 CD/Tuner/Amplifier unit. I have the TEAC's service information, but it does not give the internal details of the module.
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:35 am   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: FM tuner module FTE4-400T

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bought-in module from someone like Mitsumi- even clever-and-proud-of-it people like Sony used to use ready-aligned blocks from them and it would have been a leave-alone thing that just dropped in and worked (apart from perhaps a minor tweak of the IF output core to suit the IF filter group). A bit like the way TV tuner heads were a "don't meddle, exchange" sort of thing, with very little information apart from a basic circuit if you were lucky.
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:45 am   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: FM tuner module FTE4-400T

I have to agree with you turretslug. The particular module in the TEAC is suffering from being a bit 'deaf' - I estimate about 10-15 dB down on what it should be by comparing with other VHF/FM Rx's. I strongly suspect from the associated circuitry that the module is a varicap-tuned unit; and I speculate that the deafness is because that the first RF stage mos-fet has failed.

I don't know what the previous history of the TEAC unit is for any clues. However I do know that the way the unit has been put together makes it very difficult to get access to the module.
Closed Thread