UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2019, 9:37 pm   #1
Midge_5
Diode

Default Calstan Radio-Tape BSR?

Does anyone have any info on what model & year is? I have had a good look on the net without any luck so throw it over to you guys in the hope someone has come across it before and knows a little about it, it has 'Calstan' on the bezel and 'BSR' on a small round badge that's on the tape head cover.
Would be grateful for any info, Thankyou.

Click here for a video of it in opration ( Radio only)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_092841.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	185624   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_092855.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	185625  
Old 24th Jun 2019, 10:04 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Calstan Radio-Tape BSR?

BSR TD2 from the early 60s, a search will bring up lots of info.

It's quite unusual with its built in radio.

Don't just carry on running it as there may well be a number of leaking coupling capacitors that'll need replacing, otherwise you'll end up ruining it with a small cloud of smoke and a puddle of melted wax dripping out of the bottom from the transformer!
Old 24th Jun 2019, 11:00 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The manufacturer is new to me, not too surprising as the machine looks to have found its way here from Down Under.

http://www.thebakeliteradio.com/page14/page14.html

is a page with a few details, there's a YouTube video showing a Calstan transistor radio using the same manufacturer font / logo as the Radio-Tape, and the tuning dial photographs here show the usual configuration of Australian broadcast band stations.

Paul
Old 24th Jun 2019, 11:48 pm   #4
Midge_5
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Don't just carry on running it as there may well be a number of leaking coupling capacitors that'll need replacing, otherwise you'll end up ruining it with a small cloud of smoke and a puddle of melted wax dripping out of the bottom from the transformer!
Yes I am aware of the dangers of running it and potential bad caps spoiling the day, I only ran it the length of the video and turned it off.

Thanks for the info ;-)

P.S. this was to be a restore project for me but due to poor health I am starting to sort things out to sell as I can't manage things like I used to.

Last edited by Midge_5; 24th Jun 2019 at 11:57 pm.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 8:58 pm   #5
Midge_5
Diode

I have requested membership of and aussie facebook group to ask if they recognise it for more info, if I get any updates I will post them.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 7:20 pm   #6
Midge_5
Diode

Nothing yet for history but I decided to take a peek inside and it is indeed Australian, going by the numbers or codes printed on the chassis could this be 5th month 1964?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_183327.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	185770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_183428.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	185771   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_183505.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	185772   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_183524.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	185773   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_183548.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	185774  

Old 8th Jul 2019, 5:38 pm   #7
usradcoll1
Heptode

It would be great to see a valve compliment on this unit.
Seems to be a small motor to drive the tape deck. I like the idea of the slug-tuned tuner assembly.
The mains flex looks like the kind used on an Iron or other heating appliance.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 5:46 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

That motor looks like a typical BSR Shaded pole motor. I have somewhere a tape recorder which uses the BSR Tape Deck, but it's not within easy reach to check what motor it employs. If, by slug-tuned tuning, you mean Permeability tuning, where the capacitance is fixed, and the frequency altered by moving the cores in and out of the coils, thus varying the inductance, as you are no doubt aware, this was common practice in car radios for many years, but was rarely encountered in domestic receivers.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 5:54 pm   #9
paulsherwin

The BSR TD2 will be very familiar to anyone in the UK who was around in the 60s. It was used by a vast range of manufacturers, everybody from man-in-a-shed startups to big boys like KB. BSR must have churned them out in vast numbers. They are a well designed solid deck perfect for their market sector.

BSR obviously exported a few to Australia too.
Closed Thread