UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2006, 6:08 am   #1
Grundi
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fuse for Grundig TK14

I need a replacement for the 400 m/A fuse in my TK14 recorder, and have searched for a supplier without luck so far...any ideas where I can get one? This is probably an easy one, but as I'm new to vintage models I don't know where I should be looking. All help much appreciated.
Old 15th May 2006, 12:11 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Fuse for Grundig TK14

According to my catalogue, Maplin stock a 400ma quickblow fuse as code GJ86t (99p for 10), which does not appear to be on the web site and a 400ma time delay fuse (£1.99 for 10).

Would either of these be suitable?
Old 15th May 2006, 2:14 pm   #3
Grundi
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Dave, I'll try that. I did manage to pick up a 500 m/A one from a small shop I'd forgotten about in the next town this morning, and he said it didn't really make a lot of difference. It works, but I'd prefer to replace exactly what was there before.
Old 15th May 2006, 2:45 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The 500mA fuse should be fine. Fuses and fusing have been discussed at length on the forum. The consensus is that fuses protect against catastrophic overcurrent faults, and don't provide much protection against small overcurrents, so the difference between 400mA and 500mA will hardly alter the level of protection provided.

Best regards, Paul
Old 15th May 2006, 6:39 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Also, make sure it's the right physical size, i.e. 20 x 5mm for modern equipment (and most older European stuff, probably including your Grundig), 1.25" x 0.25" for older things, especially those made in the UK, USA and Japan
Old 15th May 2006, 8:13 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The ones I quoted from Maplin are 20x5.
Old 15th May 2006, 9:11 pm   #7
Grundi
Retired Dormant Member

OK. Thanks again for all your advice.
Grundi.
Closed Thread