UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2010, 1:44 am   #1
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default The Heat Machine - Vintage Fan Heater

So, we've had a couple of interesting threads on here about electric radiant heaters now - my turn for one on their fan assisted cousins I think!

The name is actually on the product, not one I've made up...appropriate though as it's an astonishingly effective little bit of kit. One of the photos shows the label on the underside, proudly proclaiming that it is indeed "The Heat Machine."

This small, roughly cube shaped fan heater was picked up at a local second hand shop, probably about ten years ago. Even at 15 or so years of age I knew what I liked, and spotted this thing a mile off - the immediate reaction being "Want!" £10 or so later, I was carrying it off with a smile on my face, much to the bafflement of my parents.

I'd always assumed that the use of PTC ceramic elements in things like fan heaters was relatively recent an invention. This thing however definitely doesn't look (or feel) like it was made any time recently.

The control circuitry is far more complex than on most fan heaters - being a printed circuit board behind the control panel (I've got a photo of that back at the flat - will upload it tomorrow), making use of quite a number of discreet components to thermostatically control the fan speed. The thermocouple or thermistor used to sense the ambient temperature is in the little black tube that you can see sticking out the control panel.

Given the "self-regulating" character of the elements (meaning that if you power one up in free air, it'll level out at just the same temperature as if you're forcing air over it), this very effectively controls the heat output of the unit, and hence the power consumption is hugely variable depending on the fan speed and ambient air temperature, from a couple of hundred watts through to 1.2kW max.

Even then - it seems to kick out just as much heat as the more conventional 2kW dimplex one I used before I got this. I'm going to guess it's due to the "dense" design of the elements ensuring that the transfer of the heat to the airflow would be pretty efficient.

One thing I've been utterly unable to do however is figure out how old this thing actually is...anyone got any ideas?

I've only ever seen one other one of these, at the Jessop's on Market Street in Aberdeen - they've got a brown one which lives on the back counter.

Given that one of the elements in this one have seen slightly better days (the "spine" for want of a better term, which I'm guessing is the power supply conductor is separating from the vanes), it'd be interesting to know if anyone either has, or knows where to get any spares.

It also used to have a dust filter, unfortunately that was turning to powder on my example so was removed - I've no idea what to replace it with...suggestions would be welcome!

While I only use this at the weekends occasionally at my parents house, it's a really characterful little bit of kit and I like it! Is warming my feet nicely as I type this as well.

So, you've all shown a great aptitude for stories and info on electric fires - let's see how you do with fan heaters!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11447.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	41835   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11449.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	41836   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11462.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	41837   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11464.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	41838   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11465.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	41839  

Old 24th Oct 2010, 7:57 am   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The Heat Machine - Vintage Fan Heater

I have one of these too, but I think it goes by a different name, and calls itself a 'portable furnace'. It's awaiting investigation of a no-heat fault at present. I don't think they're as old as they look - early '80s perhaps?
Old 24th Oct 2010, 8:21 am   #3
glowinganode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post

It also used to have a dust filter, unfortunately that was turning to powder on my example so was removed - I've no idea what to replace it with...suggestions would be welcome!
I used a sheet of scotchbrite (pan scourer) to replace a dust filter in a vacuum cleaner a treat.
Rob.
Old 25th Oct 2010, 9:14 am   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
I don't think they're as old as they look - early '80s perhaps?
Maybe checking whether it has red-black-green or brown-blue-green/yellow cores in the mains flex will be a clue (assuming it's the original flex)?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 25th Oct 2010, 9:33 am   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I still regularly use a Philips 2kW fan heater that I think dates from about 1970. Mains cable is red/black/green. Metal cased, reliable (except once when an impeller came off) and quiet. Occasionally I open it and oil the bearings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fan_heater.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	41874  
Old 25th Oct 2010, 9:40 am   #6
newlite4
Octode

I bought one of these at the flea market for £5 a few years ago. Again it is Canadian and is the 'Micro Furnace'. I remember them being popular in the weekend supplements about 15/20 years ago. They do put out a lot of heat compared to their size and I imagine they are safer being effectively a 'black heater'.
Neil
Old 25th Oct 2010, 11:37 pm   #7
Zelandeth
Heptode

Thanks for the feedback so far - I thought it was likely newer than it looked!

This one has red/black/green on the mains cable, and there doesn't look to be any sign of that having ever been tampered with.

I've attached a couple of photos - one showing the underside of the control circuitry, and the other showing the rather sad state of one of my poor elements. The heater still works perfectly despite that - but does every now and then have a bit of a fizzling, sparking fit. Doubt there's much that can be done for that save for replacement of the "bar" in question...and I don't imagine that spares will be easy to come by! There are a couple of chips in the others - but it's only the second from the right that actually has any electrical issues.

Dseymo - For your no-heat fault, first thing I'd probably check would be the two beefy looking diodes in the supply to the elements - well, that and that it isn't something silly like a connector that's come off (though given how tight they all seemed to be in my one that seems unlikely).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6841.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	41898   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6842.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	41899  
Old 26th Oct 2010, 9:37 am   #8
richrussell
Heptode

Do any of the components on the pcb have a date code on them? Something like 9001 (eg 1990, January)? That should help you set an approximate age.
Old 26th Oct 2010, 9:56 am   #9
recordplayer
Pentode

Hi,

These heaters are not that old. I remember working in a television shop and they where selling these things new around 1987/88. You can also spot the blue/brown new colour code on one of the pics. A very efficient little heater - not seen one for ages but they did put out some heat for their size.

Tony.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 26th Oct 2010 at 10:12 am. Reason: FPK.
Old 28th Oct 2010, 1:07 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

These little heaters are no more nor less efficient than any other electric heater, which by definition are 100% efficient at turning electric power into heat (well perhaps heat and a tiny proportion of light or sound in the case of a fan heater).

What they may well be is more effective at delivering the heat to where it is useful. As are some of the halogen lamp type heaters which can be usefully directional and heat up you directly as opposed to the surrounding air which a draught can blow away.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Oct 2010, 3:19 pm   #11
richrussell
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
. As are some of the halogen lamp type heaters which can be usefully directional and heat up you directly
They also save money by being bright enough to read by, thereby negating the need to have a light on
Old 28th Oct 2010, 4:07 pm   #12
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've got this little chap, as per the images attached. It's awfully tatty but then I treat it as a working machine rather than a museum piece. I assume it to be 1950's, never tried to find out for certain.

Branded 'Magicair' and made by the Magicook Applicance Company, it has a sprayed metal case, a Urea carrying handle and a strut on the underside so it can be stood at a pointing-upwards angle. The badge is of the same yellow plastic type as found on the Roberts R200 etc.

In the first image it's running but the little pilot light at bottom centre has been drowned out by the camera flash.

I don't think the flex is original; I've a vague recollection of fitting it myself many years ago (I've owned this heater for donkey's years). It's probably iron flex and I'd assume the original would have in some way matched the case colour.

There is just one little problem; on full heat and fan setting it randomly suffers an internal flashover which takes out the plug fuse. At some point, when I can be bothered, I'll have to dismantle it and sort the problem out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Magicair01.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	41996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magicair02.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	41997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magicair03.JPG
Views:	164