UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2018, 3:24 pm   #1
ianm
Hexode

Default Smiths type 1 electric clock motor housing - repair or replace?

I am currently facing a dilemma as to whether I should replace or attempt to repair the bakelite housing of a Smiths type 1 electric clock movement. As can be seen from my pictures, all the pieces are there and it has already been subject to a past attempt at repair, which has later failed. To the best of my knowledge, bakelite is not a material that responds all that well to gluing.

One particular consideration in respect of outright replacement is that this particular housing belongs to a wall clock, which means that it has a flange, and this is the part that has mostly come away. Within my spares stash, I do have some type 1 movements, but all have the type of housing used for small mantel clocks and which therefore do not have the flange.

One particular problem with the repair option is that I will first have the unenviable task of removing the residual glue from the previous repair. I don't know what type of glue was used, although there is some evidence of cyanoacrylate (superglue).

Any thoughts from the clock people, please? Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Type1-1.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	162376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Type1-2.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	162377  

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 7th May 2018, 4:55 pm   #2
robin coleman
Hexode

Default Re: Smiths type 1 electric clock motor housing - repair or replace?

I would try repairing and gluing with epoxy resin glue.
Regards
Robin
Old 8th May 2018, 7:40 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello Ian,

I would certainly have a bash at repairing it, though as you say, removing the residual glue might be problematic. You could try warming it, solvents, fibreglass scratch brushes etc.

Unlike you, I believe that broken Bakelite edges can be glued very successfully, both with cyanoacrylate and epoxy resins.

I've had a couple of very early 1930s Synchonomains ones whose capsules were well and truly smashed, but which went back together very neatly indeed with superglue.

N.
Old 8th May 2018, 7:54 am   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

If there's sufficient clearance, I'd reinforce the repair with glass fibre mat.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:02 am   #5
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

..or maybe use Playdoh etc to make a mould that is of a larger diameter to the unit with the flange stamped into the top then fill the gap between the unit and mould wall with polyurethane potting and then covering the flange impression at the top. Add some suitable grease into the mould to prevent stick and perhaps bury into the mix some extra reinforcing wire around the screw holes.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 8th May 2018 at 10:14 am.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:18 am   #6
ianm
Hexode

Thank you, gentlemen! Repair of the original housing will shortly commence.

Old 28th May 2018, 11:32 am   #7
ianm
Hexode

I've now painstakingly removed all of the glue from the earlier repair. Cellulose thinners worked very well to soften it, allowing me to carefully scrape the residue away.

Just wanted to seek opinions on which glue to use for the new repair. Nick mentioned cyanoacrylate and epoxy resins earlier in the thread, but I'm sure I've heard mixed reports about the effectiveness of cyanoacrylate for bakelite repair. Otherwise, I'll probably go for one of the slower drying types of epoxy resin, e.g. Araldite 'Standard'.

Old 28th May 2018, 11:50 am   #8
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I've always found CA to work fine but would go for epoxy where the pieces can be kept in alignment while it cures as it has the advantage of filling any small gaps.
Closed Thread