UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2006, 11:08 am   #1
duran
Tetrode

Default Ferrograph works straight out of the box

Hi chaps

I bought an old series 3 Ferrograph the other day, with the intention of stripping out the idlers for refurbishment, and then selling any other parts that I could on Ebay (sorry, wash my mouth out). Before I started I thought I would just plug it in and see if it worked. I know I should have gone through all sorts of start up procedures, but as I wasn't really after the electronics, it didn't seem to matter. Anyway, b&$$*r me if the thing didn't work fine from the off! It's not in bad condition either. It came with a bunch of tapes as well, including a recording of the original broadcast of Under Milkwood, and damn me if that didn't play ok as well. So here we have a 50 year old piece of mechanicals and electronics, playing a 50 year old broadcast, on a 50 year old tape. Add in the spare valves that it came with, and the 'Manual of the Ferrograph", and I haven't the heart to break it up now.

Looks like I shall have to add it to the collection!

And the best bit.....

When I was playing the Under Milkwood tape, my wife came in, and as I went to turn the machine off she told me to be quiet, and turn it up. How often does that happen!

The only small problem I have found so far is the solenoid that holds in the play lever takes a few seconds to hold, and drops out occasionally, any clues.

duran
Old 1st May 2006, 5:46 pm   #2
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Re: Ferrograph works straight out of the box

Drops of ail see if the arm moves easy, I found one out of 10 machines needed oil.
Old 4th May 2006, 9:38 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

Geroge West's Ferrograph site at http://www.ferrograph.info is a great source of info about all things Ferrograph, and Geroge is really helpful for dummies like me I think i remember reading something about this problem on his site.

I have dad's old series 2, and tracked down an issue with the solenoid. A bit more serious than yours though - a cracking and puff of smoke. Not nice. The voltage across it is only about 8 or so volts, but it is in series with the amp's HT supply so is sitting 300V or so above the chassis. I think the insulation has just broken down in mine - replacing it with a resistor and holding the play lever in the unit goes fine, other than a capstan motor which struggles at times (have to get around to some 3 in 1 oil; a drop of CRC 5.56 helps but a month later its stuck again).

The only other issue I struck was nicking the top of the output valve reinstalling it after cleaning the contacts (d'oh!); my British tape recorder now includes a Russian valve

I picked up a cheap series 3 on trademe.co.nz, which is in cosmetically better condition but dead (HT comes up but not much else), so will look at flogging the solenoid (which is ok) and swapping it, just haven't plucked up the courage yet with those three springs which are held in place by the same screws that hold the solenoid.
Old 7th May 2006, 8:06 am   #4
flywheel
Tetrode

Breaking your Series 3 up for spares?!! Well, yes, I've done this to a few Ferros in my time, too. But, please folks, only ones that are too far gone to do anything else with! But have you seen this crazy eBay sale for a couple of ex Ferro valve output transformers? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

That can only encourage some serious wrecking. I don't know what whoever bought these was thinking of! Yes, these might just be about the best transformers you could find if you want to build yourself a single-ended EL84 amplifier, but what's the point? A good 3-4 watts per channel max.; after that start counting the distortion on both hands!

(Weak hold-on solenoid? As arjoll says, it's in the HT feed to the amp, so check the HT and the output valve.)

Last edited by flywheel; 7th May 2006 at 8:17 am.
Old 7th May 2006, 9:22 am   #5
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywheel
Breaking your Series 3 up for spares?!! Well, yes, I've done this to a few Ferros in my time, too. But, please folks, only ones that are too far gone to do anything else with! But have you seen this crazy eBay sale for a couple of ex Ferro valve output transformers? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
That is crazy! I bought my non-working 3 for NZ$30 and know of a series 2 with two hublock reels and ribbon mic with an asking price of $100 or so. (Divide by three for GBP)
Closed Thread