UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2011, 9:39 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Old-style bicycle speedometer

Hi,

Pictured is a Smiths bicycle speedometer I have recently been able to locate on Ebay. It wasn't in very good condition - it was originally seized but is okay now. Childhood influences are at work here of course, but I much prefer this sort of analogue speedometer to the modern digital variety and of course it doesn't need a battery either.

I'm now looking for a cable to join the head to the little cog wheel, and the circular rack that attaches to the front wheel spokes and engages with the same cog wheel. I reckon it should have 30 slots to give an accurate reading.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4122.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	46052  
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 10:00 pm   #2
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Old-style bicycle speedometer

ooooh, me likey!!!

I have a digital one on my bike, and it samples the speed every half a second or so, so, it's a bit slow to react for me, a real analogue one would be nice for my bike...
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 12:47 am   #3
Jonster
Heptode

Lovely! Just the sort of thing that would originally have been fitted to my 1956 Raleigh Lenton Sports as a period accessory. I have an ancient analogue Huret ready to go on one of my other old Raleighs, be warned that these old analogue units with hub drives cause a lot of drag though.

'Speedy Cables' would probably be able to make suitable drive cable up, maybe sort you out a drive cog as well. Google them.
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 7:02 am   #4
Panrock
Nonode

I recall there were two versions available from Smiths (maybe at different times)... the "Popular" (like my present one) and the "De-Luxe", which had a styled indicator needle. As an approx 8 year old boy I had a "Popular" for a short time. I remember my father didn't set up the wheel cog clearance very well and it was noisy. This must have been a common complaint since later versions changed this part from metal to hard plastic or fibre.

Other makes of speedometer I had as a boy were the "Huret" (with a heavily damped needle action) and the "Lucia" (a very attractive little unit with a styled red needle).

Back to my "Popular"... it annoyingly always read fast because I had a 24-inch bike and Smiths only produced versions suitable for down to 26 inches. Even then, the styling of the "Popular" seemed old-hat to me. A similar design and needle - but going upto 90 mph - was fitted to the Ford Popular! Funny how much I can remember.

I am not absolutely sure my current example is a genuine "Popular" since I think that may have read right down to 0 mph. This one stops at 2 mph. I have a suspicion these units were also used on Milk Floats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
'Speedy Cables' would probably be able to make suitable drive cable up, maybe sort you out a drive cog as well. Google them.
Wow! Thanks, what an interesting looking site. I'll explore...

Steve
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 8:24 am   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I have one of these made by Huret. I once got it up to 38MPH, downhill!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 1:55 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

I have a Huret, hub drive. 0-40mph. Fitted to my Hercules Balmoral bike. Had it right against the end stops several times (living in Lynton helps a lot! No shortage of hills).

Drag isn't noticeable. Best place to get a new cable is to buy a classic motorcycle magazine - cable companies advertise in these and rotary as well as Bowden types should be obtainable.

A rack drive piece may be more difficult ... ebay? Or join veteran cycle-club and put up a Wanted advert?
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 2:11 pm   #7
Panrock
Nonode

Useful info. Thanks. So far I've placed an inquiry with Speedy Cables. It may be a hub worm drive will be more efficient (and silent!) than the circular rack and pinion. We shall see.

My childhood record was 39 mph, furiously pedalling down River Hill between Sevenoaks and Tonbridge. Judging from all the 'speeding' comments, the sale of bicycle speedometers must carry a safety risk! There's an excitement attached to seeing a speedometer needle go round further and further, which you just don't get with a digital display.
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 3:41 pm   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I prefer mechanical things, you don't throw them away when they go wrong - you repair them.

Peter
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 4:42 pm   #9
Panrock
Nonode

Yes, the beauty of this unit was that even the smallest parts inside could be unscrewed or unclipped and taken out to be refurbished. Solidly made too: at one point I needed to grip the (seized) magnet in a vice to "persuade" it to move at all and eventually to get it out from its shaft. But no damage was done and it all runs sweetly now. Very simple to 'clock' the mileometer to zero on these too!
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 8:08 pm   #10
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post

My childhood record was 39 mph, furiously pedalling down River Hill between Sevenoaks and Tonbridge. Judging from all the 'speeding' comments, the sale of bicycle speedometers must carry a safety risk! There's an excitement attached to seeing a speedometer needle go round further and further, which you just don't get with a digital display.

Deffo need some sort of warning -think I got up to 45 on mine(max was 50), but that was on a decent hill with a gale behind me .
Old 4th Feb 2011, 9:15 am   #11
arjoll
Dekatron

I had a digital one on my ten speed when I went on an ISCF (Scripture Union) cycle tour in December 1985 - Oamaru to Invercargill via the Mackenzie Country. No contact at all with the wheel, just a disc mounted near the hub and a sensor unit (I'm guessing hall effect or similar). I hit about 85 km/h going down the Tarras side of the Lindis Pass
Old 4th Feb 2011, 1:53 pm   #12
Panrock
Nonode

'Speedy Cables' have now told me they can't help, so I guess it'll be a question of keeping an eye on Ebay for bits and pieces that can be pressed into service - or looking in the motorcycling press. I already have an old circular rack from someone's bike in the USA on order.

If somebody has a hub worm drive and cable to spare, that would probably be the most elegant solution, though of course its gearing ratio would have to be right... I'll get there in the end. I always do.
Old 5th Feb 2011, 8:14 am   #13
Panrock
Nonode

To assist me in getting bits that will work, does anyone have the turns-per-mile (often printed in small figures on the face) of other bicycle speedometers, such as Huret and VDO?

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 5th Feb 2011 at 10:23 am. Reason: OT reference removed.
Old 5th Feb 2011, 10:24 am   #14
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

One Off Topic post referring to cars removed and another post edited for the same reason.

Please stay on topic or the tyres will be let down.
Old 5th Feb 2011, 11:40 am   #15
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
To assist me in getting bits that will work, does anyone have the turns-per-mile (often printed in small figures on the face) of other bicycle speedometers, such as Huret and VDO?
My Huret has the wheel diameter (26") - which is effectively the same specification - stamped on the hub worm drive unit. Presumably the speedos themselves, as the expensive part, were all calibrated the same, with the drive units geared for different wheel sizes.
Old 5th Feb 2011, 6:31 pm   #16
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
'Speedy Cables' have now told me they can't help
Hi Steve,

I can't see what you want in their website but I think they might be worth a call. They do cover some special applications. http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/

Peter
Old 5th Feb 2011, 7:01 pm   #17
Panrock
Nonode

Wow! Is that a huge speedometer on the back of their van? Thanks for this tip Peter. I shall certainly follow it up.

Steve