UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2010, 12:20 am   #21
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Re: Belling 264 Electric Fire

Hi Steve,
The fire looks great, well done. Your fire is listed in my 1961 Brown Bros catalogue. It is a "Waverley" and cost £18 17s 6d plus £3 9s 3d purchase tax. Mine is a "Princess".Your glass diffuser looks the same or very similar to mine. I see yours has two bulbs.
Hope this is of some interest.
Cheers,
Des.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 8:13 am   #22
tsgunnell
Retired Dormant Member

My family had a belling like that in the sixties but with only one fireglow bulb the windmills were supposed to turn to give it a flicker affect
Old 15th Aug 2010, 10:00 am   #23
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

If Steve's fire was listed in a 1961 catalogue, then I wonder how many years it was in production for? I remain convinced it predates 1961 by some ten years but, then again, the 1950's were quite a 'stagnant' decade and more modern designs didn't really appear until well into the 1960's.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 11:42 am   #24
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

As I stated ,some Deco based, "dated' designs ran well into the 60s .Odd really .Seams mostly to have been things like fires .It wasn't cheap was it!!
Old 15th Aug 2010, 5:03 pm   #25
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It wasn't at £22 6s 9d (if I've worked that out right) in total, but then people those days expected things like this to last a lifetime, unlike today, so the investment of what equated to two or three weeks wages would've been seen as worth it.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 4:47 pm   #26
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Probably a bit late to say this now, but was that asbestos insulation on the internal wiring?

We used electric fires like that (1960's versions) up to 1989 in our house in London because my Dad did not believe in central heating.
Old 26th Aug 2010, 11:34 am   #27
Maestro Maker
Retired Dormant Member

Brings back memories - my sister had the same fire for many years standing in front of an identical fireplace AND the same clock!!!
I used frequently have to adjust the flicker fans because a single spider web thread would stop their rotation. It was also useful to carefully remove the fans from their gramphone needle like pivots and twiddle the shapened end of a soft B pencil inside the glass thimble of the fan to impart some graphite lubricant. They went around at a fair old rate after that. It's all to do with age and relative technology. The ball point pen began to be available in 1946/7 but was no good for doctoring flicker fans!

Cheers, MM
Old 26th Aug 2010, 10:01 pm   #28
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks for the tip MM, one of my fans is decidedly sluggish even after much careful alignment of the fins. I'll try your pencil tip, er tip!

Steve
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 5:33 pm   #29
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Great job, Steve!
I think these coal-effect fires using fans were around for a few decades, pre- and post-war. If I recall correctly. some of the red bulbs with bayonet contacts had three pins, not two.

There were later coal-effect fires using a row of dangly tinsel strips blown about by the fan. Quite realistic.
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 8:56 pm   #30
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Saw an advert in the local rag last year "Electric Fire Very Magical", I guess it was 'phoned in on a bad line.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 1:25 pm   #31
McMurdo
Dekatron

Our first flame effect fire had a synchronous motor to drive the flicker flame (early 70's) and after a few years it got very noisy indeed.
Old 17th Sep 2010, 9:25 pm   #32
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Smashing stuff. My mother used to turn on "the glim" (as she called the fireglow bulbs) on cool evenings, but left the main elements off to save electricity. We all felt warmer!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 18th Sep 2010, 9:48 pm   #33
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Moss View Post
Saw an advert in the local rag last year "Electric Fire Very Magical", I guess it was 'phoned in on a bad line.

Berry Magicoal, I presume?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Oct 2010, 7:48 pm   #34
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

What a superb looking fire. Its inspired me to dig my old Belling fire out.
Old 11th Oct 2010, 8:02 pm   #35
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
Don't forget that when these magnificent beasts were sold they were usually run from nice, big, beefy 15amp round pin plugs. Sometimes 2 pin ones .
As a kid we had an ancient Berry Magicoal 2Kw fire with a fireglow lamp that had two different sized pins . I found out the hard way that the switches were on the neutral side ;
As an aside, a friend of my wife's asked me to have a look at her immersion heater as it smelt "a bit warm". It was running from a 13amp socket with an MK switched plug. The heater was rated at FOUR kilowatts! and had done so for many years without incident. I sorted the problem and replaced the plug/socket with a 20amp DP switch, now everyone's happy and I've got a nice vintage plug
Cheers de Pete
Old 12th Oct 2010, 8:49 am   #36
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
All three bars at once works out at a current draw of 13.04A excluding the two lamps, so with 13A iron flex you would have to restrict use to two bars.
Most iron flexes are of the order of 1.5mm. (same as toasters) According to the 17th edition wiring regs this flexible cord will carry up to 16 amps so no problem there.

Cheers
Old 14th Oct 2010, 1:29 pm   #37
Brigham
Octode

Splendid news! My 3kw. Belling 'Champion' tubular heaters are back in spec.! I was using 1.5mm iron flex until I could get something heavier.
Closed Thread