UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2016, 8:54 am   #1
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Speaker cones that are not round

Is it possible to re-cone eliptical speakers?

I have odd size and odd impedance ones that need new cones, they are beyond the tissue and glue repair.

Round ones are easy but how would you make the eliptical cone? If the cone could be reproduced I could use a foam edge mount with care I suppose.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 9:25 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Speaker cones that are not round

Get a buck 3-D printed, polish it with fine abrasive to get it smooth, coat with a release agent, and then build your elliptical cone on it with wet paper/ water based adhesive mixture. You could even include corrugated surround if wanted.

The making of speaker cones was never very high-tech or expensive, but the tooling to make them was expensive.

David
Old 18th Feb 2016, 9:37 am   #3
richrussell
Heptode

You just need to make a mould that matches the original and build up the cone from paper and glue. How you make that mould is up to you - careful measuring and shaping of clay or plasticine might have been the preferred method years ago, but these days 3D printing is an option if you know someone with a printer.

You can even use the old cone if there's enough of it left - cover it in clingfilm or something that won't stick and just lay up your paper on top extending over the damaged parts.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 10:48 am   #4
FIXITNOW
Octode

if you give the size one of us may have one then you could cannibalize it to restore yours
Old 18th Feb 2016, 11:08 am   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXITNOW View Post
if you give the size one of us may have one then you could cannibalize it to restore yours
Good offer but sizes are odd, and I have never had any success peeling them of the frame in one piece.

Could a round cone be distorted and trimmed? Never tried it and its a long time since I did classic geometry with conic sections.
Old 18th Feb 2016, 11:11 am   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Get a buck 3-D printed, polish it with fine abrasive to get it smooth, coat with a release agent, and then build your elliptical cone on it with wet paper/ water based adhesive mixture. You could even include corrugated surround if wanted.

The making of speaker cones was never very high-tech or expensive, but the tooling to make them was expensive.

David
I assume that was a little tongue in cheek David

Cost more than a brass farthing then?

Sam
Old 18th Feb 2016, 1:21 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Maybe a 3D printed actual cone could be made? It wouldn't need a lot of material and might even be better than the original paper.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Feb 2016, 2:39 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

I was serious about a 3-D printed buck. It wouldn't have to be solid which would save a lot of time and material.

For a round cone, I'd just spin something up in the lathe, but an elliptical cone would be a swine to machine without NC machines. There are people out there with hobbyist 3D printers and most seem to just be making demo items, not things with a purpose.

I hadn't even thought of printing the cone itself!

David