UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2016, 1:34 pm   #41
Gulliver
Hexode

Default Re: RIP Sir Terry Wogan

Coming late to this I know... I heard the news while cooking breakfast and listening to the tennis on 5 Live.

The terms "legend" and "national treasure" are used too often, but Terry Wogan was both. I should imagine that for most of us, he's been a frequent visitor into our homes via the airwaves for most of our lives. Whether one was a "fan" or not, Terry was there. As others have said, he had the knack of making you feel that you were the centre of attention.

From radio DJ to Blankety Blank to Janet & John to Eurovision and Children In Need... he excelled at them all. And the Floral Dance!
Old 6th Feb 2016, 8:37 pm   #42
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Not a fan as I implied earlier and cars are not up for discussion I know, however this is a good Wogan story...

A Fiat senior exec flies into London during the seventies charged with restoring the Company image. First thing he hears on the Radio, as he is driven from Heathrow to his new office, is "Sure, it's a miserable day out there, there's drizzle filling the air and you can hear the Fiats quietly rusting".

The Guardian Letters Page Wed 3/2/16

Dave W
Old 6th Feb 2016, 10:27 pm   #43
Radio Wrangler

In both that and the Eurovision song contest, he had the guts to tell the truth when plenty of other people dared not. Making it funny as well amounted to poking them in the ribs.

Making fun of people is a very powerful weapon. Mr Churchill sent out planes to drop thousands of tons of bombs on Mr Hitler and armies to harry his armies around the world. Mr Chaplin made a movie taking the um, the mickey out of Mr Hitler. So once he'd taken over the world, Mr Hitler planned on keeping Mr Churchill as a prisoner in luxury, to be displayed at his whim, but what he planned for Mr Chaplin was very nasty indeed. Mr Chaplin had made people laugh at him and that leaves deeper wounds than thousand-bomber raids do.

David
Old 7th Feb 2016, 1:09 am   #44
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Another counter-intuitive Terry comment. He famously interviewed David Ike who could do nothing but give him the opportunity for ridicule. I forgot that I've recently seen the You Tube recording of a much later interview where Terry seemed genuinely regretful and troubled about the way that all turned out!
I give him full marks for that. He was always popular and successful-like Tommy Handley. Tommy who?

Dave W

By the way David Icke was wearing a Shell Suit during the first interview. Even worse it was Turquoise... oh no super naff!
About 12 years later a major scientific investigation reported that Turquoise appeared to be the primary colour of the Universe. This tied in uncomfortably with what Icke said about his clothing [and the Universe]. I'm not making this up but perhaps the Scientists were? A bit of a coincidence either way?

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Feb 2016 at 1:25 am.
Old 7th Feb 2016, 4:28 am   #45
Radio Wrangler

Perhaps some scientists have a functional sense of humour - or may be lizards in disguise?

It's a pity Terry never got to complete the set with Hubbard and any incarnation of Kim-thingy-wotsit. Few chat show hosts could have handled the Icke interview.

David
Old 7th Feb 2016, 7:28 pm   #46
Alvin
Heptode

Just flicking through the channels and noticed that Challenge is playing three back to back episodes of Blankety Blank - on now until 8pm

Alvin
Old 8th Feb 2016, 12:59 am   #47
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
In both that and the Eurovision song contest, he had the guts to tell the truth when plenty of other people dared not.
Not sure where truth intrudes into light entertainment, if at all. That's more R4 territory, if at all. He was certainly a one off, though, sadly missed.
Closed Thread