UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2014, 6:57 am   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default PYE at Leiston?

I visited the Richard Garrett works "Long Shop" museum in Leiston, Suffolk yesterday and was interested to see a couple of pictures of a radio production factory referred to as the PYE works.

There is little about this in the museum, but questions revealed that, during and after WWII, the PYE company made military radio equipment in parts of the Richard Garrett factory. I am told they have 'a couple of old radios in the store' but I wasn't encouraged to go and look at them!

Does anyone know any detail about this period?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 21st Aug 2014, 9:53 am   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: PYE at Leiston?

I don't know specifically about Leiston but it's quite likely!

During WWII the Government's preferred approach was for manufacturers to set up 'shadow' factories - basically replicas of their main production facilities - to provide improved output and to guard against the main factory being lost to enemy action.

Pye (and also Ekco, it should be noted) thought different and set up a lot of small plants often in locations not usually associated with manufacturing. So you'd get small electronics operations cropping up in church halls, silk-mills, ice-rinks, even an abandoned mushroom-factory.
Old 21st Aug 2014, 2:25 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Hi. I was informed that Pye had a factory at Leiston, Suffolk in the 1950's. There were other smaller assembly factories for Pye in East Suffolk too. One of the main ones was at Oulton Broad, near Lowestoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I don't know specifically about Leiston but it's quite likely!
Hi. PYE radio & television once had a small plant in a village called Yoxford (situated on the A12 road between Ipswich and Lowestoft), so I was once informed. There must have been many more in that area of Suffolk.
Cheers
Mike
Old 21st Aug 2014, 3:54 pm   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

Interesting! I'm staying in Yoxford, so I'll ask around.....

Index:
Old 21st Aug 2014, 4:21 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
There were other smaller assembly factories for Pye in East Suffolk too. One of the main ones was at Oulton Broad, near Lowestoft
Pye did indeed have a large TV plant in Lowestoft - which manufactured the G11 sets.

it subsequently went through the inevitable Philips and then Sanyo ownership and closed for good in 2009: http://www.ertonline.co.uk/Default.a...0f.Lang-EN.htm

From memory, there was also Pye Marine (Lowestoft) Ltd, which was the old Rees-Mace operation which Pye bought up some time in the late-1940s/early-1950s.

Regarding the Pye "Richard Garrett" Leiston facility - a bit of research shows that it was where the C12 transceiver (replacement for the WWII-era 19-set) was produced: http://www.pyetelecomhistory.org/pro...s_Set_C12_1955

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 21st Aug 2014 at 4:27 pm.
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 12:51 pm   #6
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Hi. PYE radio & television once had a small plant in a village called Yoxford (situated on the A12 road between Ipswich and Lowestoft), so I was once informed. There must have been many more in that area of Suffolk
Hi. I can not confirm that it was actually Pye, but I do remember once someone saying that there was a small electronic construction employer there in the 1960's, it may be that it was Pye. As the other person on this forum quoted, there were many small assembly plants set up in Suffolk and other parts of East Anglia on behalf of Pye.
I used to live in an area near Saxmundham from 1962 to 1967, so I know the area very well!
Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 3:55 pm   #7
telstar
Octode

Hi. Have you visited the Long Shop Museum in Leiston? They may have a section about the time of when Pye had a section at Garrett's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
Interesting! I'm staying in Yoxford, so I'll ask around.....
Hi. Did you find out about PYE in Yoxford (Suffolk)?
I may ask someone that I used to know, with regards confirmation of the factory location there.
Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 4:14 pm   #8
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Hi. Have you visited the Long Shop Museum in Leiston? They may have a section about the time of when Pye had a section at Garrett's.
See post 1 above! They have nothing about any of the radio assembly work.

Quote:
Hi. Did you find out about PYE in Yoxford (Suffolk)?
I may ask someone that I used to know, with regards confirmation of the factory location there.
Unfortunately not. I was there for only a week, and although I asked a couple of older locals no-one knew anything (or weren't telling!!)

Index:
Old 25th Sep 2014, 12:40 pm   #9
telstar
Octode

Hi Richard. I found that there was a book that includes Pye at Richard Garretts at Leiston, Suffolk. It is by R.A Whitehead and called "Garrett 200 Bi-centenary". Someone in the East Anglian Daily Times informed me.
Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 11:37 am   #10
telstar
Octode

Hi Richard. I have been informed that there were satellites of PYE radio in various villages and towns in Suffolk. I tried to p.m & email you earlier, but no response.
Cheers
Mike
Old 10th Nov 2014, 12:47 pm   #11
telstar
Octode

Hi. Just to confirm that the assembly plant at Yoxford was not actually run by PYE, but was a small company manufacturing small components (inductor windings,and so on) for PYE, and other companies.
Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 10:48 am   #12
Micro-waver
Diode

Hi, My late father worked at PYE at Leiston, just after the war. He was in charge of a group of ladies doing assembly work, presumably radios. no other info available, but working on it... Anyone know of a good clairvoyant or an old valve set that can pick up late 1940's transmissions! regards to all. Chris
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 11:53 am   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

I do remember a newspaper article, some years ago, where a woman was convinced that she got yesterday's radio programmes. Turned out that she had her newspapers mixed up. It was presumably a slow news day. Other than that, for 40's material it's CDs or the Internet.
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 1:40 pm   #14
Hartley118
Nonode

The Pye PCR communications receiver was said to have been assembled in village halls all over East Anglia. Here's an extract from the Virtual Pye Museum site http://www.pyetelecomhistory.org/pro.../military.html

"Pye Ltd was initially contracted to produce a quantity of 5000 PCR1 and 12000 PCR2/3 units at a rate of about 800 per month............The Pye equipments were manufactured on an out-work basis by teams of assemblers in the "Pye Village Industries" scheme in village halls and other buildings around East Anglia. Once a week the sets would be collected by a man in a van called Fred and taken to Cambridge for testing and despatch."

Martin
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 4:18 pm   #15
telstar
Octode

Hi. Yes there were many radios assembled in village halls in Suffolk on behalf of companies such as PYE. As someone who once lived in Suffolk in the 1960's, I remember seeing small companies having logos on village halls for the companies that they made appliances for. With regards to PYE at Leiston, I also remember that factory, it was near Richard Garrett's Engineering Factory.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread