UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2016, 12:51 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile 'Binaural' stereo?

Hi,
This morning I listened to an experimental radio play without words called 'The Revenge' on BBC iPlayer which was first broadcast in 1974 and was recorded in 'binaural stereo'. The continuity announcer advised how best to listen to it, preferably on stereo headphones, or through correctly positioned loudspeakers.
The term 'binaural' disappeared years later, and we had to make do with good old fashioned stereo.
So, was it just a phase (pun intended) and a fancy word for stereo, or was/is it a technology all its own?
I suppose I could just google it, but it's more fun to spark a discussion on our beloved forum!
Cheers,
Old 21st Feb 2016, 1:32 pm   #2

Default Re: 'Binaural' stereo?

The idea was to record something using a dummy head with a microphone in each ear and reproducing it via headphones. About 30 years ago Radio 3 did this for a walk around an oil rig.

Old 21st Feb 2016, 1:35 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The essential difference between binaural and conventional stereo is that the former is generally recorded with a "dummy head" - usually two omni-directional microphones separated by a baffle - and intended to be reproduced through headphones, when it can give an uncannily realistic "immersion" effect. Dummy head recordings usually don't work as well on speakers as other stereo techniques, though. To elucidate these would take a lot of space, but the key concepts are the Blumlein crossed pair, the Decca tree and the Bell Labs wavefront theory.

Last edited by Ted Kendall; 21st Feb 2016 at 1:59 pm.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 2:45 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The Wikipedia article is a good introduction to the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording
Closed Thread