UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2009, 7:43 pm   #1
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Telephone 312 converting etc

I recently splashed out on a gadget that supposidly converts a rotary dial phone to work on tone dialing etc . so i dug out one of my old phones a 312 . at least thats whats on the base .It could be i swaped bses over many years ago though ! .
I tried out the phone as is ,and rememberd that on dialling there is a tinkle as the dial returns ,which shouldnt be .
I would like to fit the conversion to this phone . but first I would like to get it to proper woking order . It is probbly not wired corectly at the moment . It does have a modern mic fitted though .
Can anyone direct me to an easily understood way of doing this . and if any parts needed , where from? please
I have had a look already on the net , but am confused easily by the amount of stuff
Old 8th Feb 2009, 7:59 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone 312 converting etc

Hi Chipp,

See here: http://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm#332

It's for a 332, but a 312 is essentially the same but with added bits for party line working.

As for parts needed, you don't need anything except a 3.3K resistor to go in series with the bell. But if you don't have many other phones on the line, make do without it and link across instead.

Nick.
Old 8th Feb 2009, 8:12 pm   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Thanks Nick.
What about the Rectifier? mentioned on the site .
I have one other bell phone on the system and the other two phones are dect phones
ammendment .. i also have an old 30s phone with a buzzer instead of bell in service
Old 8th Feb 2009, 8:18 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The rectifier goes across the receiver (earpiece) to stop loud clicks when operating the hookswitch between calls etc.

See here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...tifier+element

Either steal one from a modern 700-series phone or leave it out. Or else they appear on eBay regularly enough.

Nick.
Old 8th Feb 2009, 8:47 pm   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Ok thanks Nick.Hopefully i should be able to sort this out soon
Old 8th Feb 2009, 10:27 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
The rectifier goes across the receiver (earpiece) to stop loud clicks when operating the hookswitch between calls etc.

Nick.
Isn't it just a couple of common or garden silicon diodes wired back-to-back to clip off above 600mV?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Feb 2009, 10:55 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think you're right, Russell, though I'm sure I tried this once with mixed results.

Nick
Old 4th Mar 2009, 3:25 pm   #8
giraffenigel
Tetrode

All you need to make the rectifier are 2 DIODES(1N4001 or 1N4148)twisted together and wired between 5 & 6 in the telephone. Hope this helps
Closed Thread