UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2021, 7:51 pm   #1
John_BS
Octode

Default DVD / CD player topology

Does anyone have architectural knowledge of the operation of DVD players which can also play audio CD's? I have a Naim AV receiver which will play DVD's, but not CD's, which seems a bit odd. When I had the thing apart, I think I saw two miniscule ceramic pre-sets on the side of the optics, but they really were miniscule. The player is a DLR 200
John
Old 10th Oct 2021, 8:06 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: DVD / CD player topology

Yes, the optical block (pick up) has two Laser diodes inside it, one for each disk type, it is not unusual for one to fail, most usually I found players would play CDs and not DVDs though it is possible for it to fail as yours has.
Old 10th Oct 2021, 9:21 pm   #3
John_BS
Octode

Default Re: DVD / CD player topology

Many thanks for that information: I wonder if a tweak of the diode current might restore the CD section. Problem is I don't know which is which (if the presets are actually presets!).
Closed Thread