UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2021, 11:08 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Bernard's 1970s Solid–State Oscilloscope – Anybody tried building it?

Hi!

Anybody ever attempted to build this?
https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Ber...cilloscope.pdf

Chris Williams
Old 4th Sep 2021, 3:20 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Bernard's 1970s Solid–State Oscilloscope – Anybody tried building it?

FG Rayer was a well known contributor to Radio Constructor and his designs always worked well. It's a pity there are no specs shown with that scope but it is likely only suitable for audio and possibly low RF up to a few Mhz perhaps. I suspect it will work quite well for audio if it's limitations are appreciated. Some thought has gone into the design and it looks far better than some of the simpler designs I've seen. I think it would be a worthwhile project to give a good insight as to how analogue scopes work.
Old 4th Sep 2021, 3:46 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Bernard's 1970s Solid–State Oscilloscope – Anybody tried building it?

This seems to have more than a passing resemblance to the 1973 PW student oscilloscope, and I did build that in around 1976.

I made a lot of changes due to using a 3JP1 tube which ISTR had PDA.

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...PW-1973-08.pdf

Cheers

Mike T
Old 4th Sep 2021, 8:10 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, there was also a design in WW at about the same time, but it used op amps and actually had peaking chokes in the collectors of the Y amp output transistors, b ut effectively a similar circuit.
I got the electrical apprentices at Thorn's cooker plant in Spennymoor to build it as a training exercise and it worked very well.
With a few mods it would drive a 6" VCR97

Ed
Closed Thread