UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2018, 9:24 pm   #1
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Default 1989 Aiwa hifi. Cassette player problems.

I'm a very new member to this forum, so am chary of doing anything wrong!

I bought a hifi in 1989 with my 21st birthday money. It was an Aiwa brand, with a separate turntable. And I bought a Sharp CD player to go with it. And it was really good until 2000 when my new sister-in-law offered to sell me her JVC hifi for £20! It was too good a bargain to miss. The speakers were just so good!

Anyway, I mothballed the Aiwa and Sharp until very recently when I fancied playing my vinyl again (and the CD player on the JVC packed up) and I swapped back to my original hifi.

The situation now is that the 30 year old cassette mechanism seems to be kaput and I wondered if it was repairable? The rubber belts will have perished, won't they? Is it worth me buying new ones and trying to dismantle it to replace them?
Old 27th Oct 2018, 9:51 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 1989 Aiwa hifi question.

There's a very good chance it just needs new belts, particularly the main capstan belt. You will need to work out the belt dimensions and order a replacement from somewhere like CPC. The belts aren't expensive.

Belt changing can be anything from trivially easy to complex and difficult. Take the covers off and have a look inside.
Old 31st Oct 2018, 9:05 pm   #3
whiskas
Octode

Hi Lancs lad,
Might I add that when measuring up for the belt size deduct about 8%-10% or so and buy a belt of that slightly 'reduced' diameter, (so if you measure a circumference of 100mm, get something around 92mm or so to replace it with, so it will fit the loop with some reasonable grip/tension - otherwise you'll have the same symptoms of a stretched belt!
Old 1st Nov 2018, 3:17 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Post the model number of the Aiwa unit. One of us may recognize it and be able to give specific help.
Old 1st Nov 2018, 2:27 pm   #5
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Hello Whiskas and co.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. The Aiwa unit is labelled Stereo Component System CX-45, and the twin cassette mechanism is just a standard manual push-button type. Not a fancy logic-controlled affair like my JVC! Not sure if that makes any difference to the inside workings.

Also, if I do end up taking it apart, is there anything in particular that I should avoid touching? I've heard worrying tales about 'stored voltage' (capacitors?) and I would rather not get a nasty shock if it can be avoided.

Peter.
Old 1st Nov 2018, 2:34 pm   #6
paulsherwin

There is no risk of significant electric shocks if the unit has been unplugged from the mains for a few minutes. Transistor equipment operates from relatively low voltages.
Old 1st Nov 2018, 2:48 pm   #7
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Relieved to hear that, Paul. Thanks for such a swift reply.

Peter.
Old 1st Nov 2018, 5:48 pm   #8
Lancs Lad
Heptode

An update on the Aiwa saga.

Both cassette decks will now play and record very well, even on high-speed dubbing. Maybe this is because the unit has now been in a heated room for a couple of weeks (and plugged in for the same length of time) so everything has warmed up again.

The problem is that both fast-forward and rewind are unresponsive - not even a hint of any movement or motor noise. Yet, as soon as I press either function keys, the auto-stop triggers and it returns to the off position. It's the only non-logic cassette deck with auto-stop on fast wind (as well as on play and record) that I've ever come across!

So, does that sound like it's still a belt problem? All thoughts are very welcome!

Peter.
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 9:02 am   #9
FrankB
Heptode

Default Re: 1989 Aiwa hifi. Cassette player problems.

Not familiar with that unit per se:
Could be a belt, drive idler, clutch, sensor- some used magnetic reed switches and the switches were failure prone on the U.S. models.
It's really hard to tell for me, without looking the unit over. The FF/rewind mech could be gummed up too.
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 11:47 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: 1989 Aiwa hifi. Cassette player problems.

Having looked at pics of similar models online, this is a simple mech, I would not be surprised if one motor handled both transports. The usual scenario is that a thinner belt which connects the fast wind idler to the capstan or even motor itself has failed.
Closed Thread