UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2014, 4:40 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default McMurdo Valve Bases

For what it's worth, broken contacts in McMurdo valve bases can be a pain, sometimes you can reform them with a needle, but more often they are brittle and snap. this is something I came across, If you have an old scart socket cut the pins out and with a nail file or the like, file the slot out slightly, take out the old broken contact, two of these scart pins side by side slot back into the base giving good contact just need a bend on the solder tag to keep them in position. I do not know if it is a long lasting repair but it seems to work.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mcm1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	94728   Click image for larger version

Name:	mcm2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	94729   Click image for larger version

Name:	mcm3.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	94730  
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 7:23 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: McMurdo Valve Bases

That's a nice fix - using easy-to-acquire parts, too.

The McMurdo type valve-sockets do seem a major fail after a few decades: I wonder if anyone's ever done an analysis of the brass composition and compared it with the brass used for the contacts on Amphenol-type Octal bases?
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 7:44 pm   #3
jonnybear
Octode

The composition of the brass is probably the same, fatigue is more than likely caused by temperature changes, octal valves have less heat transfer through the thin connecting wires to the pins, where b8a & b9a do not, just my theory anyway.
John
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 9:53 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

My username is in honour of these things!
One small aspect of my day job is restoring valved musical electronics; the famous company Vox (Jennings) used McMurdo and a single organ can contain scores of bases with broken pins, no good for a professional musician. I've always opted to replace the holder complete, though it's not in the spirit of this forum and is a very time consuming affair.
Old 8th Jul 2014, 1:33 pm   #5
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

What a good idea. The B7G bases in 1.4 volt portables seem to be the most unreliable possibly due to something coming from the batteries. I have changed a lot of single contacts and a few whole valve bases which can be a pain.. The larger bases, like octal etc. seem to be better.
Closed Thread