UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2019, 9:35 am   #1
robert.copley1
Pentode

Default Invertor.

So many on the market, 12v - 240V to power a Dansette on a budget any recommendations ?
Old 27th May 2019, 10:46 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: inverter

You might get away with a modified sine wave inverter if its a valve player, they are very cheap, don't know if they like induction motors though. A low wattage pure sign wave unit shouldn't be too expensive, you probably need less than 100 watts.

Peter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...sacat=0&_sop=2
Old 27th May 2019, 11:28 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: inverter

You won't need a pure sine wave just for a record player. Back in the Days, when such a need existed, people used to use simple vibrator converters to power them! I have a little 150W modified sine wave inverter, bought from Maplin when they still existed, and I have used that to run a Dansette Major DeLuxe from a 12V rechargeable battery with no problems.
Old 27th May 2019, 8:31 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Invertor.

Hi, it may be a problem if the inverter does not output 50Hz, as your gram will probably have an induction motor that is speed/ frequency dependant.
It needs to be a 50Hz type

Ed
Old 27th May 2019, 11:10 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

For a valve example, if you have the DVD look at the Ace 33RG/DC (Trader 1045). A multivibrator driving a pair of LOP valves.
Old 28th May 2019, 10:44 am   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember a pre war radiogram at the shop where I used to work in kent, it had a valve inverter driving the gram motor, I think it was probably for use on DC mains.

Peter
Old 28th May 2019, 4:47 pm   #7
ex 2 Base
Heptode

A friend of mine back in 1957/60 era had a valve inverter made by I think "VaLradio" or some similar name which he used to power his electric drill. He had a Jowett Javelin car with a metallic horn ring thing on the steering wheel and as we were driving along it all became alive. Ted
Old 28th May 2019, 8:09 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

For one of my past jobs I lugged a valve paging transmitter round for demonstration purposes. That had a Valradio inverter, doubling the weight. As I never used it portable I removed it. It came in useful during the 4 day week power cuts as it would power the old 405 TV for long enough for Wife and friends to watch Coronation Street, a trivial matter these days.
Old 29th May 2019, 8:28 am   #9
robert.copley1
Pentode

thanks so much for all your input stI'll pondering ! bob
Old 29th May 2019, 8:51 am   #10
crackle
Rest in Peace

I seriously dont think those "Pure sine wave" inverters for £17 from China are real.
If you read the specs of some they do say "modified" sine wave.

Mike
Old 29th May 2019, 9:08 am   #11
Michael Maurice

Look at the Wolmar Velora which is also on the DVD, a UCC85 driving a pair of UL84's to drive the motor. It even has a frequency control to vary the pitch of the motor.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread