UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2023, 10:50 pm   #1
boiss
Pentode

Default Single Triode MW Regen RX

Does anyone have a circuit for a 1 valve (Triode) MW regenerative Receiver, This would be followed by a modern IC Audio amp? Open Tuning coil preferred with external Antenna.
Cheers
Mike
Old 19th Aug 2023, 6:38 am   #2
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Single Triode MW Regen RX

There's this one, all details on the website below.

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Jun04_En...rossley50.html

and it does work as I have one at home, not home made but the commercial version as shown on the website, I wouldn't use a 01-A triode though, quite scarce and the two I have are very microphonic.

John
Old 19th Aug 2023, 7:11 am   #3
John M0GLN
Octode

Just found the power supply and amp' I made for the above Crosley 50, the IC is a LM386L. The batteries are just what I had, no particular reason for the different makes.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	283561  
Old 19th Aug 2023, 3:09 pm   #4
Jez1234
Banned

If you go to www.worldradiohistory.com and look at old magazines such as Practical Wireless (and many others!) from the 1930's to the 1960's you will find loads of designs.
Old 19th Aug 2023, 3:26 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Somewhere I have a circuit for a 1 valve broadcast band receiver that used an Acorn triode valve, and could be built either to be powered by AC mains or dry batteries depending on the Acorn used.

Will see if I can work out where the diagram is..

I never actually built it, having decided that a short wave receiver based on a 1S5 pentode would be a better use of my efforts.
Old 19th Aug 2023, 5:29 pm   #6
boiss
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
There's this one, all details on the website below.

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Jun04_En...rossley50.html

and it does work as I have one at home, not home made but the commercial version as shown on the website, I wouldn't use a 01-A triode though, quite scarce and the two I have are very microphonic.

John
Hi John,
That looks just the ticket with a few great ideas to start with. the tuning cap idea is interesting too. I wouldn't use an 01-A triode, I have another wee beastie in mind, and it will run off the mains.
Thanks V. much.
Mike

Last edited by boiss; 19th Aug 2023 at 5:41 pm. Reason: addition
Old 19th Aug 2023, 5:40 pm   #7
boiss
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez1234 View Post
If you go to www.worldradiohistory.com and look at old magazines such as Practical Wireless (and many others!) from the 1930's to the 1960's you will find loads of designs.
Hi Jez,
Some great stuff, definitely an almost endless supply of material for those baking hot summer afternoons here. I might even try a single transistor super regen radio, I never did get one to work around 1960.
I will have a look at the early valve sets too for odd ideas.
Thanks a bunch
Mike
Old 19th Aug 2023, 10:14 pm   #8
murphyv310
Dekatron

Use a Rod Pentode. 1J24B you can get great results at 45v HT and 1.2v filaments. I've a two valve regen version that easily drives a speaker. Great fun but the lack of MW stations that play stuff I like I disappointing.
Old 19th Aug 2023, 11:17 pm   #9
Jez1234
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez1234 View Post
Hi Jez,
Some great stuff, definitely an almost endless supply of material for those baking hot summer afternoons here. I might even try a single transistor super regen radio, I never did get one to work around 1960.
I will have a look at the early valve sets too for odd ideas.
Thanks a bunch
Mike
Ah now I've kinda been there and done it with transistor superregens so valve ones are on my own list
Old 26th Aug 2023, 12:11 am   #10
boiss
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Use a Rod Pentode. 1J24B you can get great results at 45v HT and 1.2v filaments. I've a two valve regen version that easily drives a speaker. Great fun but the lack of MW stations that play stuff I like I disappointing.
The lack of Mw stations is a bit of a problem, here in Spain they are almost always talking, and the music is pretty crappy. Hence the pantry MW txs. Loads of N African stations after dusk. There are few LW stations here that are somewhat varied.
I have a Hacker but Fm only goes up to 101MHz and most of the English speaking chanels here are around 106/7 MHz. No I am not going to build an FM tx. ( I do have a 2C39, do they work on 30VHt? Connections would be crap!)
Old 26th Aug 2023, 11:08 am   #11
Trevor
Octode

Can details of the rod pentode unit be posted a schematic and or pictures I have some but no idea on what to use them
Old 27th Aug 2023, 8:07 am   #12
boiss
Pentode

I remember an IF amp in Marconi airborne radars, they were smaller than these Russian ones, about 6mm dia and they had no top connection. All connections were at one end. While I worked on these radars for a few months, I don't remember any of the characteristics of these valves. I do however remember that the lifetime was a bit limited as I recall changing a few of them.
Closed Thread