UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2006, 9:04 am   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Selenium rectifier replacement (Roberts RMB).

Hello,

Ron Bryan is currently checking over the very nice Roberts RMB which I won at the last Wootton Bassett auction. It works but it doesn't play very loud. It has a couple of faults. Firstly the HT voltage is only around 40 volts due to failure of the selenium rectifier. I understand that that can be overcome by attaching in parallel a diode and changing the decoupling resistor but are these rectifiers still available as new old stock anywhere ? Secondly, it has a faulty 40uF+40uF double ended capacitor, again are original capacitors still available anywhere ?
Thanks.

Howard
Old 23rd Dec 2006, 1:15 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts RMB problems

Selenium rectifiers can be obtained from the likes of http://www.gdrectifiers.co.uk/ but it appears only the spindle mounted type would be suitable for your application. An internet search will reveal several USA suppliers too. I wouldn't take the decidedly dodgy route of salvaging one from a scrap radio, but it's not impossible a good one could turn up this way.

Double ended capacitors. If appearance is important, I'd just buy a couple of modern axial types and shove them in the gutted original can. That is, unless someone comes up with a suitable and servicable original from a scrapper.

Not 100% relevant to this thread, but you may find this of interest .... http://hhscott.com/cc/rectifiers.htm

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Dec 2007 at 5:28 pm. Reason: Removed ref to defunct supplier.
Old 24th Dec 2006, 11:23 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Thanks Darren,

That's very useful information. It would be nice to retain as many of the original components as possible in this RMB which has a mint case, but sometimes I guess one has to compromise and use modern parts to keep these old sets going.

I will contact those suppliers to see if they keep a good match for the RMB's rectifier, and will try and reuse the original can from the double ended capacitor so it at least looks original

Howard
Old 24th Dec 2006, 11:36 am   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Howard

I always change selenium rectifiers on sight because I don't trust them. However I never throw them away, so it might be worth posting a picture of it... Actually it might be worth posting a picture of the cap too

Regards
David
Old 24th Dec 2006, 11:42 am   #5
howard
Nonode

Thanks Dave,

Either myself or Ron will do that ASAP. By the way, where do you get your new selenium rectifiers from ?

Howard
Old 24th Dec 2006, 12:19 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Howard,

I replace selenium rectifiers with a IN5404 or IN5408 and a resistor of around 220R .

Regards
David
Old 27th Dec 2006, 11:46 am   #7
ronbryan
Octode

David

Here are two pictures of the Roberts RMB selenium HT rectifier. The first shows the RM0 rectifier in Howard's set, with the temporary 1N4004 and extra series resistor I've tacked on to it. Forum member Igranic has suggested the RM0 may well be a service replacement for the original rectifier.

The second picture shows the HT rectifier in Igranic's RMB. It's considerably longer than the RM0 in Howard's set and is probably the original type.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RM0-rectifier_web.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	7429   Click image for larger version

Name:	RMB-rectifier_web.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	7430  
Old 27th Dec 2006, 6:24 pm   #8
igranic
Rest in Peace

On further research, the recommended HT rectifier for the Roberts RMB is a SenTerCel H18-12-1RW, which I believe is that illustrated in the second picture of ronbryan's post, but as yet I can find no further information in my collection of data books.

Perhaps another forum member could provide either a replacement, or a copy of the data sheet?

According to the 'Brimar Valve and Teletube Manual No. 8' of June 1959, the RM0 is rated at 30mA with a maximum RMS input of 125 volts.
Old 27th Dec 2006, 8:36 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I've had a good look through my spares and there's nothing like it... sorry.

It might be worth keeping an eye on ebay. I've just done a search for 'selenium rectifier' and it came up with two results, however they're not quite like yours, but you never know wht might turn up in the future

David
Old 27th Dec 2006, 11:35 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
It would be nice to retain as many of the original components as possible in this RMB which has a mint case, but sometimes I guess one has to compromise and use modern parts to keep these old sets going.

That is what I always try to do Howard. However with selenium rectifiers and double electrolytics, it's a question of reliability versus originality. If a NOS electrolytic capacitor (either double or single) is fitted, chances are it will need reforming and MAY be unreliable. I would tend to fit a modern replacement neatly either in the original can or under the chassis; in the latter case retaining the original component on top.

With a selenium rectifier it would be replaced by a modern silicon job for the same reasons above. I would not want to rely on a 50-odd year old NOS selenium rectifier...if you have never smelled one of these when it fails.....well an open sewer comes to mind ! I would far rather fit a 1N4007 and a 220 ohm resistor in series or something like that and keep the original mounted in place but disconnected. Chances of one of these failing is very remote.

Rich.
Old 28th Dec 2006, 9:14 am   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Howard
If you were going to swap a selenium rectifier for a silicon diode + resistor, the original reccy ought to be disconnected, as they tend to go leaky/short circuit, giving that wonderful eau-de-merde aroma.

To preserve appearance, you could make a "selenium rectifier" of the cylindrical type as in Ron's picture using a bit of threaded rod and a stack of washers, then spraying it grey.
Not a good idea to connect it, though!
Old 28th Dec 2006, 10:19 am   #12
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Howard
they tend to go leaky/short circuit, giving that wonderful eau-de-merde aroma.
and the Selenium fumes are also very toxic, as described here .....

http://antiqueradio.org/tvshow.htm

Having read the notes above it seems that selenium rectifiers are doomed to eventual failure and aren't really worth replacing with another one I think the best thing is to leave it in place to retain its original appearance but to disconnect it and discretely replace it with a diode and additional resistor.
Thanks all

Howard
Closed Thread