UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2018, 9:17 pm   #21
M3VUV51
Banned

Default Re: Trio Kenwood TR-9000 TX issue

hi,are you still after a pa module for this?,ive a complete pa from one of these if needed,cheers m3vuv.73.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 7:43 am   #22
GSBX1220
Pentode

Hi

Thanks. I have ordered fromEnigma Components a replacement module. He is ordering it from one of his suppliers. When it arrives I will pay and he will send it on to me. It's the M57723 higher power one, but will be run at 10 w or so. I spoke with Geoff and he is not sure if the components after the module can run much higher.

Is it just the module you have, or is it the whole final unit incl back panel & heat sink?
Old 5th Oct 2018, 11:03 am   #23
M3VUV51
Banned

its the whole rear end of the radio,73 m3vuv.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 10:55 pm   #24
GSBX1220
Pentode

If you are not in a hurry to shift it on, can I get back to you?

I'll keep it in mind as a just in case if anything goes wrong with the new part arriving.

I was a bit reluctant to fit a used part due to the unreliability of the modules, but if I'm stuck........
Old 6th Oct 2018, 4:41 am   #25
M3VUV51
Banned

hi richard,im in no rush to get rid of it,if needed just give me a toot ok,regards Paul.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 9:45 pm   #26
GSBX1220
Pentode

Hi folks

The m57727 module finally arrived. I fitted it and zero output. When I spoke with Geoff at Castle a while back, he said it would work without much tweaking if any. Apparently the only tweak that May be needed is to bring the power down slightly.

I have refitted my old module and it works, but of course the old instability issue is still there.

I presume the new module is faulty. Any thoughts?
Old 10th Nov 2018, 6:58 am   #27
M3VUV51
Banned

send it back for a refund?
Old 11th Nov 2018, 11:41 am   #28
GSBX1220
Pentode

Hi

Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I just thought I would ask here in case anyone had seen this happen before.

I phoned Geoff at Castle on Friday morning. He can't see why it would not work either, and given that my original module gives output when refitted, he is confident I have not done anything wrong & the module must be defective.

Isn't it fun getting old rigs working, especially when the parts are obsolete !
Old 12th Nov 2018, 12:05 pm   #29
M3VUV51
Banned

if you need the one i have give me a shout ok
Old 13th Nov 2018, 5:35 pm   #30
GSBX1220
Pentode

Hi

Will do.

I have spoken with enigma, and the batch of M57713 & M57727 modules they bought in, which mine was part of are not performing as expected when tested by them.

He also struggles to get any more than a watt out with the correct drive etc.

My module has been sent back for comparison.

Strange.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 6:05 pm   #31
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Could be a batch of fakes, unfortunately - vintage RF PA devices (RF output transistors, as well) are quite prone to that problem.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 6:27 pm   #32
GSBX1220
Pentode

Could be very possible. The market is not exactly awash with these so if any fakes are made, they are being produced in tiny numbers.

He has assured me that what ever way this goes I will not loose out. If they are fakes he is losing far more than me.

So far, top marks to them on how they have handled this. It would be so easy for them to say I fried the component etc then walk away.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 7:34 pm   #33
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I have already come across this sort of problem myself, a CB radio I was asked to look at had no RF output but had already had its RF output transistor competently replaced with one bought from a current source.

I went through all the motions but had to conclude in the end that the brand new device was no good, and when I replaced it with one which I had had in my stash since the 1980s, the transmitter sprang to life.

What sometimes happens is that someone enquires about a part, is asked how many they want and in what package and then the part numbers are printed / lasered on a blank / dummy / real but inferior part to 'fulfil' the order. (If the market was full of readily available off-the-peg fakes, their price would ironically be driven down, so it makes better economic sense for conterfeiters to supply on demand). When the customer complains that they don't work they are no doubt stonewalled and met with the accusation that they must have damaged the components themselves.

From earlier comments about this module in your thread it sounds as though these modules (which I am not familiar with) must be quite distinctive and recognisable, not just anonymous black slabs which could easily be printed up with any old number. It's quite possible that they are just two bad batches of two different modules which have arrived in the same place at the same time.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 9:02 pm   #34
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I had this once with flange mount RF power transistors.

It took a microscope picture of the surface of the 4 leads, 2x emitters , the base and collector, which clearly showed milling marks, to prove these were pulls which had been "duffed up".

They had been flattened, planed, and then plated again. They even had depressions in the flange which marked where the old screws had been.

Purchasing bloke who got them from his"old mate" - no comments.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 7:10 pm   #35
GSBX1220
Pentode

My module was received back by the seller. Strangely enough my module also tested bad with him, but was slightly better than the others that he bought in. I don't think he is discounting the fact he may have received either fakes, or rejects from his otherwise reliable supplier.

He is looking for another source.

Paul, I may take you up on your offer as there is no guarantee he will get another module. A gamble using used modules due to the reliability record if these modules, but supposedly new parts aren't looking too hot at the mo!
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 4:19 am   #36
M3VUV51
Banned

well this was working fine when last used,so should be ok.

you could always try and get a tr-9130 pa,good for 25 watts then.
Closed Thread