UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old Yesterday, 7:42 pm   #81
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Which Scientist on the new 50 Note?

Yes Fred Hoyle is another good candidate. Wasn't A For Andromeda, where they built Julie Christie from computer code, one of his books?. The establishment didn't like him much either [well he did have a Yorkshire accent after all, plus his alternative cosmology created a big bang of an entirely different kind].

There is a similar "Hawking" attitude towards Brian Cox in some quarters but it all seems a bit churlish to me. I was never quite sure if there was jealousy re Hawkins fame and ability or just the women in his life Surely you can also be recognised for outstanding communication about science without having to be absolute top dog in Research or meeting somebody's definition

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; Yesterday at 7:51 pm.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:08 pm   #82
Bazz4CQJ
Nonode

Patents are highly controversial; so many US companies are trying to patent bits of human DNA they've connected with illnesses, and so potentially with their cures and $$$$. Most scientists outside the US think that these should be in the public domain. Also, I think patents are more engineers' territory than scientists.

Re Hawkin's celebrity dimension; quite difficult (impossible) to consider him without it.

Re Cox, well Ok, he's been minor pop star, he's tenured at Manchester and then gets paid megga bucks by the beeb, so only a modest amount of deep green envy necessary there.

Then it goes much too far when one day, on R4, he casually says "Oh, I was at Joni Mitchell's house one day...." what .

B
Old Yesterday, 8:27 pm   #83
arjoll
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
...and maybe one seen more frequently than the 50.
We've got a scientist on our $100. You don't often see a Rutherford in real life!
arjoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:45 pm   #84
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

I'm waiting for an image of Fred Dibnah on a bank note. Pint in hand, smoking chimney toppling in the background and an evil wink.

Scientist, no. Quintessentially English, oh yes. Perhaps more deserving than many of the gong recipients.

David
Old Yesterday, 8:50 pm   #85
Bazz4CQJ
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I'm waiting for an image of Fred Dibnah on a bank note. Pint in hand, smoking chimney toppling in the background and an evil wink. Scientist, no. Quintessentially English, oh yes. Perhaps more deserving than many of the gong recipients. David
YES! If they had Royalty in Lancashire...Fred. Cannot believe his TV stuff is not showing any more