UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2019, 12:47 am   #321
John M1JWR
Pentode

Default Re: Cybernet PTBM121D4X problems

Have done the rather awkward soldering job, it was rather at the extreme end
of my soldering capabilities, all still working so must've done good.
did contact an old mate of mine on this box ch25 mid fm, he is about 8 miles
away, all appears to be working ok, he still has a nato 2000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00946.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	175681  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 1:22 am   #322
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

As usual the forum pixies have reduced your image from its original resolution so it's difficult to see exactly how you have repaired the breaks. If you scraped the resist off the tracks on either side of the break, laid thin wire across the breaks and soldered it to the tracks on either side, that's great, that's how I would have done it. Those particular tracks carry very small current so just a single strand from a bit of multistrand wire would have been fine and would be able to flex / bend a little bit if that crack ever opens and shuts.

I've seen cases where people try to fix a break like that by just solder blobbing across the break, but the next time that crack flexes as it might if the radio takes a bash or even just a speed bump, the solder will crack.

Anyway congratulations on your achievement - as you said right at the beginning the main object of all this was to learn something along the way without the risk of wrecking anything irreplaceable or valuable. These old sets are just complicated enough to represent a reasonable challenge.

Looking through all this has been an enjoyable / nostalgic refresher for me too, as it has been many years now since I've had to look at these units in that kind of detail.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 1:51 am   #323
John M1JWR
Pentode

I used a centre solid core from a wire from scrap radio, scraped it and either side of crack,
then i put a little solder down on each track, then holding it in place as it was longer
i soldered in place and cut off the extra each in turn, had to lift one leg out on
each of those two resistors to move them out of the way, used genuine
cybernet wire ofcourse !!
many thanks for your help this old girl may never have woken up if it wasent for
you and techman ofcourse.
i think we will have a look at the sensible mods for improvement especially in
the modulation areas of this and 125 chassis bias resistors etc i will have a look
for the mode switch wire one for the 125 that regulates fm aswell in the near
future, nothing silly just what cybernet should have done in the first place.
73 the noo
Closed Thread