UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2014, 9:41 pm   #21
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Re: Amateur Licence.

Re the Clansman 320, if you are not aware, they are USB only. There is a relatively simple mod to give them USB and boards are available from time to time for around £27. The mod is well documented on the net. I'm just about to mod mine and I can tell you that you will need steady hands and a fine soldering iron bit. Good eyes helps as well!

There was earlier mention of the frequency decade switches making them less than ideal for scanning the bands; what makes this worse is that they do not go all way round, i.e. you cannot go direct from 0 to 9.

As to them being lightweight, well that all depends on your definition of light!

Don't let me put you off, they are a very good set.

Gordon
G7KNS - 320 user.
Old 6th Jul 2014, 11:47 am   #22
rosie&jim
Triode

My rule of thumb is don't buy anything with SMD's in it unless you just want to be an operator
Old 8th Jul 2014, 9:05 am   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The "USB only by default" issue on the likes of the PRC320 is less of an issue than you'd expect these days. The "LSB below 10MHz" tradition of amateur operation is rapidly becoming a thing of the past [it dates from the first days of 9MHz xtal filters then mixing the SSB with a 5 to 5.5MHz VFO could cover both 3.5-4MHz and 14-14.5MHz albeit with sideband inversion and sometimes non-instinctive tuning.
Old 8th Jul 2014, 1:21 pm   #24
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Yes, the 10 MHz convention is a thing of the past. My data software uses USB for everything by default for those modes where the tones are generated by the sound card, even RTTY if generated by AFSK rather than FSK. Historically that was always LSB. Old fashioned point to point services used to recognise the convention but I think that these don't exist any more. USB for more or less everything now, except amateurs of course.
Old 8th Jul 2014, 5:50 pm   #25
dsergeant
Octode

But the fact remains that LSB voice is universal on 40m, 80m and 160m. If you want to work anybody on those bands you will have to use LSB. Datamodes it is of course irrelevant.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 12:07 pm   #26
Paul Collins
Retired Dormant Member

Hello, I've had the same transceiver for over 30 Years, I got it from my Grandfather and used it as a SWL, once licensed it's used daily ever since it's a Kenwood TS 820, only mod I've done is Frequency display, it may go to a 3third generation , my youngest daughter 15years old and interested electronics & Amateur Radio, my fault I'm pleased to say.
Paul M0BSW
Old 24th Jul 2016, 3:06 pm   #27
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Congratulations on your return to amateur radio! I hope all goes well for you. I've no doubt that my question to you is not going to please some on here but it's honestly well intended so I will risk it. Are you really ready for the hassle that this hobby is likely to provide? Your initial efforts are almost certain to generate some interference for someone nearby so you will need understanding and friendly neighbors. Even if your transmissions are 100% clean, as soon as your complex aerial is erected the neighbors will suspect it's down to you every time their tv or hifi makes a crackle or chirp and you may receive visits. I'm not really trying to put you off. A bit of care can prevent a lot of interference and for understanding neighbors a trip to their house with a handful of filters when there is an issue can be seen as a friendly act. Others on here may care to comment on this side of your new venture. Genuinely, best of luck, its a great hobby. pete
Old 25th Jul 2016, 10:11 am   #28
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I think my first rig was as good as any I have had since, it was a Yaesu FT101ZB, excellent audio quality and you can repair them yourself, the only down side was frequency drift with temperature.

I live out in the wilds about 1/4 mile from my nearest neighbour but its even getting noisy hear, I had virtually no noise in the '80s but you need to have station of reasonable strength to be able to resolve it satisfactorily. A lot of noise is generated in the home so it pays to go round turning off anything with a SMP supply. I have plenty of room so can get a decent sized antenna up, I used to have a tribander and a selection of wire dipoles but now only have a 200' wire dipole fed with twin feeder which will tune up on all bands.

The HF bands don't seem in very good shape at the moment but their are still quite a few stations about.

Peter G0HET
Old 25th Jul 2016, 9:32 pm   #29
Richard - F4VPR
Triode

Andy,
I'm sure you can find something to satisfy the desire for some older amateur gear, however, I see your location is given as Perigord-Noir, some 60 radio kms south of me.

I wonder if you are aware that you may only use F/home call for 3 months maximum, and if permanently resident you are obliged to apply for a French reciprocal callsign.

R.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 9:58 am   #30
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I note that the OP hasn't been seen since the start of this thread.

For what it's worth, I started out using a 19-set for my first CW QSO on 80m. I immediately realised my mistake, the receiver has barn-door sensitivity and the transmitter gives only QRP levels of output. With the case on, you can't even see the valves glowing any colour, and I didn't think the HT2 was high enough to elicit a blue glow from an 807 anyway, but I am open to correction.

Keep the WS19 for vintage AM nets by all means, but for simple and cheap, reliable HF operation I'd suggest a Yaesu FT857, Icom IC-706 or similar.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 26th Jul 2016, 10:34 am   #31
Wendymott
Octode

Hi peeps... Just seen this posting....I can fully agree with AL "Skywave" and that is just what I am doing....making a 40M SSB exciter, with the possibility of more bands later, as the second mixer will allow that. The RX is my trusty Eddy 888, but that may be superceeded. Like other "lazy" G8's I had other things to do than learn morse...and it was nice to know the rules were relaxed and now my G8 is "all bands". My Linear will be about 15W to start with...and go from there .. IF.. the reports of signal quality are ok.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 26th Jul 2016, 12:20 pm   #32
Techman
Dekatron

This is yet another old thread that has been brought back to life - there's been several just lately, but it's all interesting stuff, so nothing wrong with that (I may be resurrecting one of my own soon). However, it's always worth checking the 'start' date of these type of threads.

According to his 'statistics', the starter of this thread was on here only yesterday, so he's likely to be still reading it!
Old 26th Jul 2016, 1:19 pm   #33
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Amateur Licence.

At various times of the day (and night), including week-ends, I occasionally search the 80m. and the 40m. bands for Amateur Radio signals. And often I am surprised - and disappointed - just how little appears to be there. The 20m., 15m. and 10m. bands just the same. Same applies to S.W. broadcast bands. Does all of that reflect the continuous and slow decline of H.F. radio comms., professional and Amateur? Or is my receiving aerial inadequate / defective? (Not my receiver, since I have several in regular use: same results on all of them).

Al.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 5:56 pm   #34
G4YVM David
Heptode

Al, the hf bands are in terrible condition vis a vis propagation at the moment. Very often you will nothing at all, absolutely nothing. We are there, but not getting out. Amateur radio is far from dead and Morse code far from dead and buried.

David.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 7:10 pm   #35
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Amateur Licence.

Thank you, David, for your post: so there is room for hope!

When you say that "propagation is in a terrible state at the moment", in your estimation, for how long has that state of affairs prevailed? It seems like months since I heard anything more that one or two medium to weak sigs. on 80m. and of the other bands, much the same, although 40m. seems to have fared a little better.

Al.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 7:30 pm   #36
ms660
Dekatron

You can get a reasonable idea as to what's what on the amateur bands on Hack Green's live Web SDR site here:

http://hackgreensdr.org:8901/

Lawrence.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 9:39 am   #37
raditechman
Heptode

I was also going to say that HF conditions are not good at present.
However I normally find some activity on 40 or 20 metres.
You may find plenty of stations this weekend 30-31st for the IOTA (Islands On The Air) contest.

To the first post well done on getting your licence.
I notice you have France as your QTH, will you also apply for a French call sign?.
Maybe you live in a rural area if so you are fortunate. I use a half size G5RV in my small London garden, plus a long wire for top band. A 2 band co-linear for 2m and 70cm.
If you have a large garden you can try lots of different antennas, make them yourself and it is not expensive.
QRM is a problem noways and if affected you may want to get a noise cancelling speaker.
It is a great privilege to be able to operate on the different bands with different modes, so I hope you enjoy the hobby.
Try and find then join a local radio club.

Morse code is still alive and can be fun.

73's John G7OXK
Old 27th Jul 2016, 11:39 am   #38
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Amateur Licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
I was also going to say that HF conditions are not good at present.
You may find plenty of stations this weekend 30-31st for the IOTA (Islands On The Air) contest.
Thank you: I'll go listening.
Al.

Quote:
QRM is a problem noways and if affected you may want to get a noise cancelling speaker.
A noise cancelling speaker, eh? New idea to me. Can you expand on that, please? Perhaps by providing a reference or two to what is available?
Thanks,
Al.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 11:50 am   #39
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
And there is one of the major issues. Contests are great for those who enjoy them, but they positively deter other users. It's pointless looking for a decent QSO during a contest. The fact that the HF bands are empty outside of contest times is sad but doesn't really surprise me, given the appalling quality of operating that seems to have become the norm. I left the HF bands several years ago as, for me, the fun and excitement had been replaced by stress and annoyance. Each to his own, though.

Al, try here: https://www.bhi-ltd.com/noise-cancel...ling-speakers/

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 27th Jul 2016 at 11:53 am. Reason: Hyperlink added
Old 27th Jul 2016, 11:53 am   #40
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
A noise cancelling speaker, eh? New idea to me. Can you expand on that, please? Perhaps by providing a reference or two to what is available?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaIzvBY__Qk

EDIT: Woops...post crossed.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread