UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2008, 8:31 pm   #1
Gid-e-one
Retired Dormant Member

Talking Barnes Radiogram does not go past 95MHz FM.

Hi people,

I'm new at this. I have inherited a Barnes (or Bavnes) Radiogram. The gram part works and i have managed to get the radio working. Althougth the needle goes all the way across and reads 100, it actualy does not go past 95.
Is there a way to adjust this,

thanks all

Gid-e-one
Old 5th Jan 2008, 11:40 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Does not go past 95 FM

Are you saying that the radio is silent above 95, or does it receive 95MHz stations where the dial says 100?

Paul
Old 6th Jan 2008, 12:29 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, your post is unclear but I'm assuming you mean you can't receive any stations above 95 even though the cursor travels to the 100 mark on the scale.

If you tune the other way, ie down to 88 or whatever the lowest frequency is, does the cursor stop at or near to 88 or does it continue to move beyond that point and off the scale? I ask this because the cursor may be mispositioned on the drivecord; the cursor may be hitting a stop (near the 100MHz point) whilst there's still some degree of tuning left on the gang.

Also, where you can receive a station is that station on-tune? for example, if you can receive Radio Wave from Blackpool on 96.5MHz is that on-tune? Check this carefully as the answer may be important.

You don't state where you are in Lancashire. In Blackpool we receive the aforementioned station at 96.5MHz......then there's nothing until 100.4MHz (Smooth FM I think the station is). When you tune between 95 and 100 is there any sound at all from the 'speaker? a hiss? a crackle? Do you get a crackle and then total silence?

Another possibility is your FM aerial. Does your 'gram have an integral FM aerial or does it need an external one? I would expect it to have some sort of internal aerial, but if there's a fault here or it does indeed need an external aerial then you may only be receiving strong stations.....with voids at sections of the scale. In my part of Lancs, as I hinted earlier, there's no what you'd call 'strong' stations above 96.5MHz.

Failing all the above, there could be an FM alignment problem or component problem within the FM circuit.
Old 6th Jan 2008, 12:50 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I don't know the area, but presumably there is a Classic FM transmitter serving the NW, and all of theirs, so far as I know, are between 100 & 101Mhz. One should be receivable in your area.
Old 6th Jan 2008, 1:03 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

What about 97.4 Rock FM and 98.9 (Here) Radio 1.

That part of the band is not dead at all. Not that I listen to either of those two stations!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 6th Jan 2008, 3:54 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
In Blackpool we receive the aforementioned station at 96.5MHz......then there's nothing until 100.4MHz
That's interesting Darren. What frequency do you get Radio 1 on up there? ( or classic FM for that matter )

regards

Aub
Old 6th Jan 2008, 5:27 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
What frequency do you get Radio 1 on up there? ( or classic FM for that matter )
Most of Lancs is served by Winter Hill north east of Bolton: http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/winterhill/index.php There's also some coverage from Holme Moss: http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/holmemoss/index.php

Paul
Old 7th Jan 2008, 11:43 pm   #8
Gid-e-one
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Barnes Radiogram does not go past 95MHz FM.

So many questions. thank you all for your quick replies.

Darren-Uk is right, the radio is not silent but the highest radio station it can pick up is BBC radio four, normally 93.7 in this area (Wigan). I dont think it is 'in tune' as it was reading 95 when i was listening to radio four. Unfortunatly i have just tried going down to 88 and it sounded like the drive cord has come off/snapped. I dont have time to look at it now but will tomorrow.

It did have an internal aerial but i was having no luck with that. I conected it to a external/outdoor aerial. So far I have managed to pick up only BBC 2,3,4.

I will investigate further tomorrow. can you change the position of the cursor, on the drive cord and what is the big metal thing called that the drive cord is attached to? is that the gang? thanks in advance

keep smiling

Gid-e-one
Closed Thread