UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2008, 1:21 pm   #1
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Ultra R656 rectifiers.

Could members offer their advice on the following please. Referring to the circuit on Trader Sheet 963, the set uses two metal rectifiers in series (type SenTerCel RM2). I intend to leave these in place disconnected for cosmetic reasons and wire modern diodes out of sight underneath. Should I replace with a series resistor and just one new diode or two diodes in series as per the original arrangement. I suspect only one modern diode is necessary but would like opinions please? Many thanks!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 13th Jan 2008, 2:02 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultra R656 restoration

Well, 200 Ohms should do. The HT can vary a bit with no problems. Just look up the maximum for the O/P valves and don't go over it.

For AC mains, just check on valve heater voltages too. Choose the exact resistor depending on the values here.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 13th Jan 2008, 4:48 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Well, 200 Ohms should do. The HT can vary a bit with no problems. Just look up the maximum for the O/P valves and don't go over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdmpb View Post
Should I replace with a series resistor and just one new diode or two diodes in series as per the original arrangement.
Hello Steve

Thanks for that information, appreciated. But what about the number of replacement diodes? One or two in series? Thanks!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 13th Jan 2008, 4:54 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdmpb View Post
But what about the number of replacement diodes? One or two in series?
Only pessimists would say 2 in series but at the cost of 1N4007 etc you can afford to be a pessimist We had a long discussion about diode failure (mainly in the context of diode droppers) a while back in the forum. A reverse polarity diode across the HT rail along with suitable fusing will provide very positive protection against diode failure. I'd probably still just fit 1 diode.
Old 13th Jan 2008, 5:01 pm   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Only pessimists would say 2 in series but at the cost of 1N4007 etc you can afford to be a pessimist... ...I'd probably still just fit 1 diode.
Hello Jeffrey

My first thoughts were that only one diode would do the job, but as you say using 2 x 1N4007 in series wouldn't break the bank, so I will probably put two in there as in the original circuit. Thank you!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread