UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2019, 6:33 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Practical Wireless Service Manual Editions?

Hi!

Can any Member enlighten me wether there were any editions of the "Practical Wireless Service Manual" published between F.J. Camm's 8th Edition from 1949 (now on A.R.H. and published in his pre–war diagram style), and the 1967 12th edition that I have by H.W. Hellyer?

Were the intermediate editions (if any!) between 1949 and 1967 updated in drawing/lettering style to match Practical Wireless magazine itself?

Chris Williams
Old 20th Oct 2019, 7:55 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Practical Wireless Service Manual Editions?

Hi Chris I have a few copies of this book.

First, I suspect much reprinted edition from 1938, 4th from Sept 1941
(2nd Feb 40, 3rd jan41) 9th 1950
11th1960.(This has the various bits of test equip from ex gov gear in it) and is Camm, revised by AT Collins.
12th edition 1067 was totally by Hellyer and has transistor info in it.

Front section on test gear seems to get updated

No details of dates for a 10th edition

Ed
Old 25th Oct 2019, 5:17 pm   #3
John KC0G
Hexode

The British Library catalogue shows that the 10th edition was by Camm, and published in 1955.

John
Old 25th Oct 2019, 7:50 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I won a copy of the 11th Edition from 1960 with the reasonably intact red, white and grey dust–jacket, for one figure this afternoon so I'm awaiting it's arrival next week!

It'll be nice to see if it matches the drawing style of the contemporary PW's from 1955 to 1960 – I think it will do tho' – at the risk of being branded a 'spoilsport' the hand–drawn/lettered style of the 1949 & earlier editions does not appeal to me I'm afraid!

Chris Williams