UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2019, 4:47 pm   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default Ruler

I’m not sure if this is appropriate for discussion but I thought it might be of interest to someone.
I came across a flat thin 3’ stainless steel Ruler in junk shop, it was marked in imperial and Agate, I’ve never seen such a scale, what’s Agate all about?
Cheers
John
Mods if inappropriate delete,ta.
Old 7th Oct 2019, 5:00 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Ruler

It's a typesetter's/signwriter's ruler;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agate_(typography) )
Old 7th Oct 2019, 5:01 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

0.55 agates to the millimetre. An agate is the smallest newsprint type used for legal notices and stocks and shares in newspapers.
Neil
Old 7th Oct 2019, 6:14 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Thank you for your replies, I had never heard of that measurement, surprising what you can find when you visit a junk shop and how you can learn from that visit.

Cheers, John.
Old 7th Oct 2019, 8:10 pm   #5
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
I’m not sure if this is appropriate for discussion but I thought it might be of interest to someone.
I came across a flat thin 3’ stainless steel Ruler in junk shop, it was marked in imperial and Agate, I’ve never seen such a scale, what’s Agate all about?
Cheers
John
Mods if inappropriate delete,ta.
As the typesetter is a long extinct species this is definitely vintage technology!

Rabone Chesterman made typesetters' rules amongst other things. The factory in Birmingham is long gone. Their popular typesetters' steel rule was of the 12" variety featuring measurements in mm and a 12 pt scale on one side and 8pt and 10pt scales on the other.

I remember seeing on the back of a display board at a college some art student graffiti: "Rabone Chesterman rules OK".

(Well it would do as long as it was 20ºC )
Closed Thread