UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2018, 6:02 am   #1
LundyFromMN
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR Revival - specific questions.

I have been cleaning up my BSR turntable. Cleaned everything up and lubed everything with liquid bearings.

Question 1: what should I use for grease on the "5 bearing" ball bearing that surrounds the spindle? I completely cleaned the old grease out.

Question 2: Under the return arm gear there is a "triangular " shaped piece that is supposed to have a single ball under it. That is gone. What now?

I've learned tons from this forum. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1524286797758694200950.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	161512   Click image for larger version

Name:	15242868520541852135483.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	161513  
Old 21st Apr 2018, 3:45 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Revival - specific questions.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

For the ball bearings, just use a general purpose grease from a car accessory shop.

As to the other problem, just fit another ball bearing, unless the triangular piece is so slack that the ball bearing will not stop in place, in which case, something needs adjusting.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 3:37 pm   #3
LundyFromMN
Retired Dormant Member

Awesome! Thanks!

Any advice on the actual size of that little ball?

I had one that I found, and I barely got it to fit. Seems like maybe it's a little big. Therefore, I don't know if it is actually functioning correctly - part of that is due to the fact that I don't actually know its function. Something with autoplay?

At least my turntable is back up and running! I missed that sound!

The autoplay doesn't work, but at least my records spin again!
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:18 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

That triangular piece is a vital part of the automatic cycle, and must be free to move without any resistance at all. (hence the ball bearing). It's this that trips the mechanism at the end of each record, and when first starting the automatic cycle. Try a slightly smaller bearing, and keep trying with different sizes until you get to the point where the triangular piece runs smoothly with no resistance, but doesn't let the bearing fall out.
Old 24th Apr 2018, 4:56 pm   #5
LundyFromMN
Retired Dormant Member

Awesome - Thanks for the help. I will try different smaller sizes.
Thanks!
Closed Thread