UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2019, 8:10 pm   #1
Paul1966
Retired Dormant Member

Default Telefunken Magnetophon 75 copying tapes

New to the site. I've tried searching but cannot find info I'm looking for apologies if it is already there.

I have a Telefunken Magnetophon 75 reel to reel unit and a selection of 50 year old tapes which I would like to transfer to my PC. I have a TEVION USB music/audio converter with 3.5mm jack input & software.

Is it possible to connect to the Magnetophon DIN plug connections? If yes can you advise what pins to use and interconnection details to 3.5mm jack.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 8:51 pm   #2
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Re: Telefunken Magnetophon 75 copying tapes

Sure....

DIN Pin 2 connects to sleeve 3.5m Jack
DIN Pin 3 connects to tip 3.5mm Jack
DIN Pin 5 connects to ring 3.5mm Jack

Connect DIN to radio socket on tape recorder, 3.5mm Jack to line input of PC.

Hope that helps.
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 10:49 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

Normally I would just put the 3.5mm jack into the line in on the sound card.
Copying a VHS cassette does require a contraption that goes into a USB port.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 2:39 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

see this sticky thread, especially posts 3 and 7
Old 5th Jan 2019, 6:17 pm   #5
Paul1966
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info.
I'm still not sure which socket to use.
On the back of the unit there is a 5 pin DIN socket labelled RADIO & a 5 pin DIN socket labelled STOP also there is a small 3 pin rectangular socket labelled EARPHONES.
Inside the cover there is a 5 pin DIN socket labelled MICRO and a 3 pin DIN socket with a speaker symbol. I assume its either the EARPHONE 3 PIN at the back or the speaker 3PIN inside with speaker symbol. Thanks.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 12:26 pm   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I'd say try the Radio socket - this was to allow recording from, and playback through, a radio receiver. Stop is for some sort of remote control, Micro will be input only, Earphones and Speaker will come off the output stage, which will give inferior results to preamplifier output available on the Radio socket.
Old 6th Jan 2019, 2:52 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

According to the circuit diagram on HifiEngine :

You can get a line-level output from pin 3 of the 'radio' socket. This is shown as a 3 pin DIN socket. Pin 2 is of course ground. You can get much the same signal (higher level as there's an attenuator to the radio socket, but it comes from the same amplifier stage) at pin 2 of the earphone socket, pin 3 being ground, but I suspect getting a plug to fit that is non-trivial.

Note that 3 pin DIN sockets have the pins numbered in order 1-2-3. 5 pin ones have the order 1-4-2-5-3 meaning that a 3 pin plug in a 5 pin socket connets to pins 1,2,3 in the obvious way.

The 'speaker' socket does indeed come from the amplifier output stage and will be an inferior-quality signal to the one on the 'radio' socket.

Do not use the microphone socket. There is no audio output here. But there is a polarising voltage for condenser microphones on pin 3 (HT+ line via a 22M resistor) which some devices might take a dislike to.

And the 'Stop' socket seems to be for a remote pause control (connected between pins 1 and 3 of the socket).
Old 14th Jan 2019, 9:10 pm   #8
Paul1966
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the advice.
The Telefunken Magnetophon 75 belt drive is broken.
It looks like somebody replaced the belt with a rubber band in the past and it has disintegrated.
Can someone help with the dimensions of the drive belt Please?
Closed Thread