UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2020, 11:01 pm   #1
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Default Portable record player decks

In the early 1980s, I was given a BRC Model 2014 record player with a BSR UA14 deck. This started my interest in electronics. I most have collected loads of record players over the following years.

I found that the majority had BSR decks with Garrard a close second. I am surprised that I only have ever had two with Collaro decks. One was a Decca Deccalian with a Collaro Conquest and an Amplion player with a RC54 deck. My first player was a Peto Scott radiogram with a Collaro Conquest deck too. The autochanger function on this deck later failed due to damaged teeth on a cog wheel and a BSR C123 deck was fitted in it's place.

Why were Collaro decks a lot less common than BSR or Garrard on portable record players of the 1950s and 1960s?

Last edited by AC/HL; 7th Jul 2020 at 1:05 am. Reason: Thread split
Old 7th Jul 2020, 7:32 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Portable record player decks

I was told by someone who worked for Dansette in Stanmore that Collaro decks were considered too complex for what they were.

Consider the complexity of an RC54 or RC456 to a BSR UA6 or a Garrard RC75 etc

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 7th Jul 2020, 7:48 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Collaro decks were far more complex than the BSR and the (pre-"Autoslim") Garrard units. They were heavier, difficult to service and somewhat more expensive. However they still gave a superb performance, fitted an excellent and durable range of "Studio" cartridges and were all-round excellent Autochangers. Sadly these over-engineered Collaro products, and the later Magavox versions, did not survive and the business failed in the early 1960s. Overall they had the smallest share of the market as compared to BSR and Garrard. Additionally they suffered from Copyright infringement issues from BSR during 1957.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 8:17 am   #4
Ekcoman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I was told by someone who worked for Dansette in Stanmore that Collaro decks were considered too complex for what they were.

Consider the complexity of an RC54 or RC456 to a BSR UA6 or a Garrard RC75 etc
I heard too regarding Collaro decks that somewhat over engineered and were not as competitive price wise with budget Garrard & BSR decks which contributed to their demise. Have to say their cartridges have fared well over the passage of time.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 3:47 pm   #5
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Thanks for the replies. I seem to recall that the Collaro Conquest deck fitted into the Decca Deccalian had the same fate as the one in the Peto Scott radiogram. The mechanism would cease up in the autochanger sequence due to a green nylon cogwheel having damaged teeth.
(https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...llaro+conquest see post 2 6.PDF). It is item 5269 on this diagram of the mechanism. Was this a common problem with these decks?

The Collaro deck on the Decca was consequently swapped for a Garrard Autoslim.

Last edited by Fidelity Fan; 7th Jul 2020 at 4:01 pm.
Closed Thread