UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2020, 10:18 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Bush portable radio seen: what model?

Today at a car boot sale I saw a Bush transistor radio that I've never seen before. Clearly an early to mid-1960s design. It was a distinctly rectangular box with 4 wavebands, each selectable by inter-locking red push-buttons to the right of the horizontal tuning scale which was behind a rectangular window (Perspex?). One waveband was clearly a bandspread of a part of MW band: it had 'Caroline' marked on the scale. Three large, flat circular knobs at the front, top right: on/off, tone and tuning; no mains lead / or socket: battery powered only; telescopic aerial.
But at the rear of the case (and elsewhere), no labelling to state the model.

What was this radio? And is it 'collectable'?
Just curious.

Al.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 11:52 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush portable radio seen: what model?

VTR133: https://www.modip.ac.uk/artefact/aibdc-001643
Old 6th Jul 2020, 2:27 am   #3
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I got one of these radios on my to do list. The reason I got it was the fact my old boss had one in the late 70s. It was beat to pieces all stuck together with sticky tape. It just went on and on being thrown about Refusing to die, a great sounding radio as well.
I have also seen a version with grey knobs .Andy
Old 6th Jul 2020, 1:33 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Bush portable radio seen: what model?

Thank you, Bill.

It was yesterday when I was out of the house for an urgent 'family mission' that I came across a car boot sale which I was unacquainted with. The urgency of my mission having been met, I chose to have a casual browse at this sale. I was tempted to make an offer for it, since for me it has a distinct appeal and externally it appeared to be in 'good condition'. But alas! For payment, I had no cash on me: only 'plastic'. However, I can find that site again - so perhaps next weekend.

Al.
Old 11th Jul 2020, 10:57 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Any set with "Caroline" marked on the dial will be collectable to someone, since it was only ever done for a brief window of time and then just as abruptly stopped. The Government of the day really did not want setmakers aiding and abetting the independent broadcasters flouting the law. After all, today it might be songs about sex, drugs, fast cars and success; but tomorrow it could easily be songs about workers' rights and overthrowing bosses .....

For it to be marked on a "respectable" table set that a family might conceivably sit around and listen to, as opposed to a cheap portable aimed at the music-hungry teenager, is all the more unusual.

(Side note: I wonder if any manufacturer ever had scale plates printed with Caroline marked, but retouched them before they were actually fitted to sets, resulting in a suspicious gap along an otherwise-crowded dial? Somebody is bound to want a set like that!)
Old 11th Jul 2020, 1:14 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

That old chestnut, we've explored it before. Governments in general, including ours, tend to have more to think about than markings on radio dials. It may be a factor in more totalitarian states but not most. The manufacturers would be more interested in future unsold stocks than inciting the masses.
Closed Thread