UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2020, 8:01 pm   #1
MikeCross
Tetrode

Default UHER M539 Microphone

I have just been given one of these microphones but cannot find any information relating to it other than its 1970's manufacture.

Does anyone have the spec for this mic.
What type is it.
What is it's impeadance.
Does it require phantom power.
It has a switch marked M and S.

I am hoping it will be a good recording mic rather than just sound reinforcement.

Any information would be great.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 12:38 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: UHER M539 Microphone

Cannot easily find a downloadable spec. Looking at various bits and pieces, it looks like quite a good mic and somewhat rare nowadays.

Described as a Studio Omnidirectional Dynamic mic, frequency response is 40Hz - 17kHz, the switch is for Speech and Music, described as a 2 position bass roll off switch which modifies the frequency response.

Evidently used a lot with the early portable Uher R2R machines.

Described as low impedance, I did see 500 ohms referenced on one site.

I don't think it requires any power.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 12:55 am   #3
Amraduk
Hexode

Hello Mike,

From what I could gather on-line, it's a moving coil microphone with a cardiod pick-up pattern. I couldn't find any info about its frequency response but as it is actually an AKG mike, I think it should be pretty good! It has a Tuchel connector but a short adapter lead is available for use with XLR connectors

The M-S switch is Music-Speech, in the speech position, there will be some bass attenuation because cardiod microphones give an increased bass output with close speaking. I couldn't find any information about its impedance but it will probably be low impedance. Being a moving coil microphone, it doesn't require phantom power.

Regards,

Dave.

PS. Crossed with DMcMahon!
Old 7th Mar 2020, 9:52 am   #4
MikeCross
Tetrode

Thank you for the information.

Will try it this week.
Old 26th Jun 2020, 9:54 pm   #5
David Pinnegar
Diode

I've been investigating this series of microphones. They're well shock-absobed so when hand held for working with video one has less handling noise.

The M537 is cardiod and the M539 is omnidirectional, although with better treble at the front. The front response of the M537 and M539 is the same, and very flat through to around 10k where from memory there's a small bump and some range beyond. If anyone reminds me I'll try to post some graphs.

The M538 is a special beast, along the lines of the AKG D200 D202 D224 series, remarkably flat and extending beyond 10k. The magic of these mics is that frequency response at 90 degrees and to the rear is very close to the front, but at a lower level, it being cardioid.

All three are really lovely mics.

However, there's only a 20-50% chance of getting a good one. Of the M538 D202 D224 genre of dual capsule mics often one of the capsules isn't working or deviates erratically and for no apparent reason. Good examples of these mics are to be treasured.

Best wishes

David P
Old 28th Jun 2020, 1:44 pm   #6
David Pinnegar
Diode

https://youtu.be/SFSYXmcPasw
is a comparison between the
Takstar TS5 dynamic capsule vs ref
Takstar CM60 Capacitor mic vs ref
An upgraded BM800 with upgraded capsules and modified electronics
UHER M537 red and M539 blue
AKG D202 vs ref
AKG D224 matched pair vs ref

Best wishes

David P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Takstar TS5.png
Views:	131
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	209693   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAKSTAR CM60.png
Views:	662
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	209694   Click image for larger version

Name:	AKG GJ matched pair D202.png
Views:	94
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	209695   Click image for larger version

Name:	AKG 9922 27284.png
Views:	128
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	209696   Click image for larger version

Name:	UHER M537 M539.png
Views:	140
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	209697  

Old 28th Jun 2020, 7:20 pm   #7
David001
Tetrode

I have an M514, the M and S positions are as said above. These are well-made mics.
Closed Thread