UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2020, 10:58 am   #41
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Horrid Ceiling Heat + Light unit

Griffin and George!
Now they made ALL SORTS of interesting gear.
Worth a topic to themselves.
Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:40 am   #42
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
These date from the days before central heating became an everyday facility.
The bathroom at Merton Park was absolutely freezing with frost on the inside of the window glass on bleak winter days.
We had one in our bathroom and it transformed an igloo into a more pleasant experience. To be honest it was a much loved friend in that winter of '63!
Care had to be taken when switching off but it was also controlled by the bathroom light switch or pull cord and yes we had a real bathroom wall mounted switch back then! [House built and wired 1906]
The 750w could just be safely carried by the lighting circuit that was generously wired in this case.
We are all mollycoddled today with everything including heating at the push of a button, a far cry from the 50's coal fires, paraffin heaters, bowl fires and very much colder houses than anyone could imagine today. Anything that brought a little comfort to those bitter winter days was more than welcome! Regards, John.
In my early age, we lived in an upper flat that was made from a single family home. The bathroom was in the hall to the outside. Plus the flat was not centrally heated, so the bath was a real treat in the dead of winter. We used a fan-heater when the temp was extremely cold.
That is one thing I don't miss from the good old days.
BTW, I use the term Mollycoddled myself!
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 8th Jun 2020, 10:13 am   #43
broadgage
Nonode

I saw one of these heat and light units in use recently.
Installed in a portable building being used as a temporary security post/gatehouse.
It looked newish.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 9:34 pm   #44
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
These date from the days before central heating became an everyday facility.
The bathroom at Merton Park was absolutely freezing with frost on the inside of the window glass on bleak winter days.
We had one in our bathroom and it transformed an igloo into a more pleasant experience. To be honest it was a much loved friend in that winter of '63!
Care had to be taken when switching off but it was also controlled by the bathroom light switch or pull cord and yes we had a real bathroom wall mounted switch back then! [House built and wired 1906]
The 750w could just be safely carried by the lighting circuit that was generously wired in this case.
We are all mollycoddled today with everything including heating at the push of a button, a far cry from the 50's coal fires, paraffin heaters, bowl fires and very much colder houses than anyone could imagine today. Anything that brought a little comfort to those bitter winter days was more than welcome! Regards, John.
Your post brings very happy? memories of 63 and indeed my early years in a freezing cold council house made of iron plates, a heat and light lamp in the bathroom would've been 'luxury' to quote the four Yorkshire men sketch of old, portable heat was courtesy of a paraffin heater, the smell of which instantly bring back those days.
Greg.