UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2020, 12:16 pm   #1
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Advice on ripple current

HI all can someone tell me how ripple current is worked out in basic terms. I need 330mA ripple max now data sheets showing at 100hz gives figures of 0.6 0.2 etc how do I now from that reading what the actual ripple current is. It seems all data sheets no longer give mA measurment instead your getting these 0.2 etc figures.
I know it's all to do with heat etc but say reading of 0.4 does that mean 400mA?
Cheers Chris
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 12:26 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Ad ice on ripple current

Multiply the ripple current that's given by the frequency correction factor...Eg: 100mA*0.4 = 40mA.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 7:26 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Advice on ripple current

Attaching the datasheet might make more sense than "0.6 0.2" which could be anything - 0.6 of the patience of a good woman, 0.2 oderosity v's wearabilty of this pair of socks I found on the floor?

Andy.
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 7:54 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Advice on ripple current

Ripple current creates heat due to the ESR of the capacitor. I squared R. Simple. Heat creates temperature rise and that drives the loss of water content by vapour leaking past seals. Also simple.

Where it gets more complex is that the charging current of a capacitor is not DC, is not sinusoidal, and is a highly distorted pulse. The discharge current could be linear, could have speech/music modulation, or it could be anything.

So we retreat from the complexity and wild variety of cases, and say that because heating is involved, then it is the RMS current that is appropriate. Good, complexity simplified.

This brings in a second problem. Ordinary multimeters on AC ranges rectify the signal and multiply by a number chosen to give the RMS value if the input was a sine wave.
But the charge waveform is a long way from a sinewave, and large errors can result.

So you need to use a true-RMS meter, and you need to make sure its bandwidth is sufficient to capture the harmonics of that charging waveform.

When it comes to analysing a design, LT spice is quite decent. It has fairly thorough models of many capacitors and lots of rectifiers. You need to make your own transformer model but that's easier than it looks. It has tools for calculating the RMS values of any waveform.

David
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 9:04 am   #5
daviddeakin
Hexode

Default Re: Ad ice on ripple current

what MS660 said
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6293.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	210170